Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
-db

Share |

Painting a rusty chain link fence?

Some of the sections of the fence at a house we just purchased is fully covered in surface rust and I would like to paint the fence and would like some input on how to do it.

I'm thinking some of that rust converting primer, then would I be better off trying to spray paint or use a roller? Spraying will obviously be easier, but will waste alot of paint. But, if I rolled it on, will I end up with missed areas on the "inside" of the links and I'll have to paint the top bar with a brush?

I'm hoping this will work and not just rust through in a year.

-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Personally, I have had very good results with the rust converters. For painting a fence use a cheap brush. You can work the paint into all those little nooks. Spraying would be a big waste of paint. Don't go too fast or you will have it all over you.

If you are going with the original metallic finish, there is a galvanized paint made for fences.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
-db

Thanks for the input.

I was at Menards tonight and picked up 2 8oz bottles of Rustoleums Rust Reformer and a gallon of Rustoleums oil based chain link fence paint. The can doesn't say anything about being a galvanized paint.

I did use a can of the galvanized spray paint last fall on a section, but did not use the rust converter first, I just sprayed over the rust. It is showing some rust through already, so hopefully this will turn out better.

I also pick up a box of chip brushes from Harbor Freight.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

i would use a roller with say a 1/2'' nap
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
-db

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
i would use a roller with say a 1/2'' nap
Have you tried this?

The paint can says use 1-1/2" nap, but the only one Menards has was $6.00 ea. I plan to look at Lowes when I'm there tomorrow (I bought the brushes for another project anyway).