Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Pachysandra alternative?

I have a three-tier deck that leads to an above ground pool. The lowest tier of the deck is approximately 5 feet off the ground, and underneath is just dirt and moss-- it looks terrible. Sunlight doesn't touch that area, so grass is out. I was thinking about planting something (green) for ground cover, but the only plant that is relatively low to the ground that requires little to no sun is pachysandra.

I've heard of certain forms of ivy that will stay on ground level (not climb up deck supports or grow "through" the pool siding)-- can anyone point me in the direction of some alternatives?

Thanks for reading!

RiskyBiz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Pachysandra alternative?

Myrtle would be a good choice. Relatively inexpensive and maintenance free, does well in shade, is evergreen, and does not climb. If it does not need to be ever green then throw in some hostas as well. They do very well in shade and will add some variety in terms of shape, height, and color.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pachysandra alternative?

You might want to post your location. It is hard to recommend specific groundcovers without knowing your location. I would get a book on ground covers from the library and see which ones would work in your situation.

I used to specify lots of needlepoint ivies. They took awhile longer to establish than some others but did not crawl so fast you could not contain them. Ornamental strawberries were nice. Bayberry ground covers are nice. Star jasmine is nice but the fragrance can be overpowering in small contained areas. I don't know its latin name but "Snow on the Mountain" makes a nice groundcover around here with varigated leaves. Your real, not box store, nursery may have some good suggestions.

As mentioned to me, hostas are rather new to me as a landscape plant. When I practiced landscape design in California we never would have attempted them. The snails and slugs would have eaten them instantly. They come in lots of varieties and textures and seem to adapt well to the climate around here.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

Pachysandra alternative?

I'm a big fan of hostas. You can never have too many
Solomon seal makes quite a statement as well
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote