Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #1

Share |

Overseeding ??

Greetings--

Yard at this property has a decent stand of St Augustine in most areas. THere are however several large areas that have nothing but dirt left-- due to dog runs, car parking and an old above ground pool.

I"d like to 1) make the lawn look better *quickly* and 2) get the St Augustine to grow and cover the bare areas.

The house is on the coast in Texas.

What should I use to overseed for the winter/spring ? How does one go about "planting" the seeds-- rake up the ground some first or ??

Piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
VHI

Overseeding ??

Hello Piney,
Overseeding is not going to get you grass quickly. I would suggest rye grass for quick winter grass then aerating before you over seed.

VHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
HarryHarley

Overseeding ??

Are the dog, cars and pool gone? The only fast way is sod. Otherwise, as stated rake hard and use rye. It will take rye 2-4 weeks to look decent. It will die off in spring.
ST Aug will spread good next summer. Make sure to fertilize Good luck.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Yard at this property has a decent stand of St Augustine in most areas. THere are however several large areas that have nothing but dirt left-- due to dog runs, car parking and an old above ground pool.

I"d like to 1) make the lawn look better *quickly* and 2) get the St Augustine to grow and cover the bare areas.

The house is on the coast in Texas.

What should I use to overseed for the winter/spring ? How does one go about "planting" the seeds-- rake up the ground some first or ??[/quote]
HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote