Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Overrun new backyard

The house we're buying has been poorly maintained and has no landscaping to speak of. No sprinklers, no grass, just weeds, and possibly some grading issues (low spots and some grading towards the foundation).

Any suggestions? We have no extra money now after the down payment and some other immediate essential repairs so I'm wondering there is anything short of sod and sprinklers we can do to pretty it up a bit this summer?

Also I plan on putting some garden space out there where it gets the most sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Overrun new backyard-backyard.jpg  
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Overrun new backyard

If you have no money it's hard to suggest anything at all. What I would suggest is buying a bag of grass seed, some topsoil and hummus/mulch, and some hay and reseeding as it looks a bit thin. Get that to germinate and get established, then I would in six weeks hit it up with a weed killer. You might end up with a very good lawn. Except if you have dogs or young kids, lol.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Overrun new backyard

I would instead of buying bag of grass seed. Go to full service nursery and buy seed by the pound. This way you can mix the seed, something will grow. Also make sure the seed is not out of date. Buy a hand held broadcast spreader.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

Overrun new backyard

Cool. That is kind of what I had in mind. To get something other than weeds growing. Even if its a spotty patchy deal-e-o at least there would be grass type stuff coming up.

Also, we do have a dog, a Boston Terrier, but she doesn't spend much time outside anyways and my baby boy is not even crawling yet (our first born only 6 weeks old!).

Does anyone in the DFW area want a beat up non-functioning hot tub? The wife says we can't keep it.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Overrun new backyard

Ayuh,.... Find yerself a beat up runnin' rototiller, 'n grind up yer backyard...

Ya can wheel barrow, 'n rake out the grade so's it pitches away from the house, 'n off yer lot...

When ya get it all raked out,...
Seed it with grass seed, 'n hand mulch it with a few bales of hay,...
Then Water, 'n Wait....

When the grass is tall enough, mow it, mulchin' all the hay to feed it...

Last edited by Bondo; 03-17-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Overrun new backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Cool. That is kind of what I had in mind. To get something other than weeds growing. Even if its a spotty patchy deal-e-o at least there would be grass type stuff coming up.

Also, we do have a dog, a Boston Terrier, but she doesn't spend much time outside anyways and my baby boy is not even crawling yet (our first born only 6 weeks old!).

Does anyone in the DFW area want a beat up non-functioning hot tub? The wife says we can't keep it.
Congratulations on your baby

I agree with your wife....boiled skin in a cesspool...gross
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Overrun new backyard

Unless I am seeing the photo wrong and being confused by the shadows, it looks like you have more than some subtle grading corrections to make so that can be your project for this year. I am looking, for example, at the grade change just along the base of the storage shed.

If you do seed, I would discourage you from using hay for a mulch because of the seeds that may be in it. It is the right idea though but use straw if you go that direction. Their are other mulching options.

If you till and prep the soil, hydroseeding is a great option that combines seed, fertilizer, and top dress into a slurry that gets sprayed on and forms a crust. Lawn will establish in record time and the cost will be comparable or not much more than you going out and buying seed, fertilizer and top dress.

Don't plant more lawn than you want or can take care of or you will kick yourself. And don't just buy "grass" if you plant yourself. Know what is going to grow where you are and know that if the package says fast germinating in 5-7 days it probably contains a high concentration of ANNUAL ryegrass which will give you only one season and you will be right back at this next year. As I think mentioned in this post, you can get bulk seed this time of year. It will be fresher and you can make your own blend. No pretty picture or fancy packaging though. You can print one out from the internet though.

While you have nothing in the way, you should tape out and scale your yard to paper or computer program. It will come in handy in designing the yard as you go and will be helpful in buying sprinklers, etc.

Last edited by user1007; 03-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #8

Overrun new backyard

your grading issues are easy, have a yard or 2 delivered and use a wheelbararrell to move it around and fill in fast n easy fix...takes a weekend.
for your lawn, where you live it looks like henbit (the purple flowers) mouse-eared chickweed(the light colored stuff)and whinterthistle. go to HD and get the scotts bonus s weed and feed. get the one with haltz if they have it and spread it according to the directions...do it again in 2 months. 90% of the eeds will be gone and the grass will return. in the fall get preen and put t down.
stoneworks is offline   Reply With Quote