Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside Step Help

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice/suggestions that I could do to make the steps from my back door to the garden look better.

Here's a pic: http://web.easysoftware.co.uk/Steps.JPG

I'm doing the rest of the garden up, laying patio etc, and this part just looks horrible. I don't really want to cut it all out and start again if I can help it.
And for those careful eyed people, yes the steps aren't level

Any ideas?

tripled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Outside Step Help

I wouldn't know what code is where you are, but it looks like you need railing there.

I would remove the unlevel steps myself and start from scratch.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,020

Outside Step Help

Personally, I like the looks of those steps; very appropriate for what you described as a "garden look". But, in addition to presenting a warm and welcome feeling, they need to be safe, and, in that regard, I agree that I would remove them and start from scratch, salvaging as many of the old bricks as possible as you go. Although the landing at the top appears relatively level, it is, in my opinion, too low to provide a comfortable entrance to and exit from the house. A complete demo would allow you to assess the number of usable bricks that you actually have, so that they could be incorporated into the new design, in a manner that maintains the distinct look that they provide. Some of the original bricks are obvioulsy already missing, presumably damaged or gone, so you may not be able to recreate the original look, but by combining the old brick with new materials, perhaps using them as columns at the foor of the steps, you could create a really unique gardenway. Regardless of how you do it, I am quite sure that you would be better served to demo what you have, and start anew, incorporating, as bbo mentioned, good and proper hand rails, etc.

Last edited by DexterII; 05-31-2011 at 10:07 AM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Outside Step Help

Thanks for the advice, I feared as much really. The garden was a complete mess when we moved in, it's just taking us ages to do each part. I'll wait until I've finished the raised decking and steps before I destroy these steps, that way at least we can get from the house to the back garden!

Thanks again.
tripled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Outside Step Help

yes, definately wait till you have the replacement plan at the ready with materials and such. IT's no fun having a half finished project waiting on some head scratching.

I'd second the saving of the old bricks. you can always intersperse(sp?) old and new brick to make it looks like it was designed with varying bricks.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote