Outside Dog Kennel - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside dog kennel

I am renting, and I have an outside 10x18 dog kennel. That being said I do not want to install a permanent floor. I was thinking about concrete pavers, something I can take with me whan I purchase my own home.

Also, it is very muddy right now in my yard and it will keep the dirt down.

Does anyone have feedback about this? I also have to deal with the cleaning up dog messes. I am fine with cleaning up every day but would like the easiest solution.

Advertisement

moontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,184

Outside dog kennel

No first hand experience in this regard, but given that you are renting, regardless of whether it is the ideal solution, I believe that your first thought, pavers, is the only practical way to proceed, and since you will be rquired to, or at a minimum, should, restore the yard as close to as it's original state as possible, I would be inclined to forego normal preparation, i.e. base, and just lay the pavers on the existing ground. If any leveling is required, it seems to me that the best solution would be to use top soil, so that it could be raked in when the lawn is restored, after you leave. Not the ideal solution, but you have to respect the owner's property. To make it easier to clean, I would think that 24" patio stones would be the way to go. Obviously, you will want to discuss anything like this with your landlord, prior to making a final decision.

Advertisement

Last edited by DexterII; 03-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Outside dog kennel

Paving stones a a convenient option for you. But not so nice for your dog. In hot weather they get hot and radiate lots of heat back into the enclosure. In cold weather they are... well... cold. They are hard rough surfaces that will be hard on your dog's pads and elbows. I'd encourage you to consider mulch or wood chips, or pea gravel - for the sake of your dog.

Good luck.