Opinions On Boulevard Trees - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to dgbehrends

Opinions on Boulevard Trees

Hello,
I'm looking into planting 3 boulevard trees this fall. I live in Southern MN, in a new subdivision with buried lines. The city forester said I could plant
Hackberry, Accolade Elms, or Ginko trees.
Anyone care to share their experience/opinion on these trees and which one I should select?

Other trees I could request would be the ones on page 2 of this document, http://www.ci.rochester.mn.us/depart...e_brochure.pdf

I know the forester won't let me plant any maple trees, but I may be able to get him to let me plant something other than the 3 listed if I ask nicely.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

If I had to pick, it would be the crabapple( flowers) or the elm. The ginko produces smelly fruit and the hackberry has no appeal at all.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to dgbehrends

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If I had to pick, it would be the crabapple( flowers) or the elm. The ginko produces smelly fruit and the hackberry has no appeal at all.
I'm with you on the hackberry. However on the ginko, there is a male and female tree, only the female produces that smelly fruit. I was assured by a couple of the local nurseries that they only sold the male variety.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

was assured by a couple of the local nurseries that they only sold the male variety.

Don't bet on it, but even still they are not much to look at and have the potential to get very large,not a good thing for a snall space.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Also, hackberry is a poor choice because they are weak when it comes to staying put in any sort of storm. We lost a ton of them in a recent hail/windstorm. And like others mentioned, they are not aesthetically pleasing in any way.

hort.ufl.edu/trees/CELOCCA.pdf

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 11-09-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Links Removed from Signature
AustinREDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote