Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

One never bloomed and what is this other plant

1 - We have a bunch of these Hydrangeas around the pool. This is how they've been all summer. In the mild winter they were just the brown stems. Then all the green came in but we never had any flowers on them and some of the brown stems are still visible. The green grew out of the inner brown stems so I was hesitant to cut them in the spring.

2 - Any idea what this thing is? It's about 7 ft high, looks like a huge weed but has some yellow on top. It's kinda flimsy, just looks unappealing to me, should I remove it?

jgjh151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your poor hydrangeas are terribly thirsty. They are very stressed right now

I wouldn't worry about the lack of blooms. They will come next year, I have a very healthy one that is just a little tempermental. Some years very showy, some not so much.

That big yellow thing is a golden rod. Its extremely invasive. Get it out first thing in the morning, before those seeds land all over the place. The roots are tough so load up on the caffiene first.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

You also have stone mulch around your hydrangeas which can contribute to heat stress when it is exceptionally hot and dry. The sun beating off the rocks and the white fence is like a solar oven on those plants. Sit in a chair placed between those plants at high noon and you will see what I mean.

I'm not saying that you should necessarily get rid of the stone or the fence, just be aware that the rocks hold heat and don't help with water retention so you need to be extra vigilant with your watering. They may need a LOT of water to stay happy. The fact that they are making it at all is a good sign.

For the goldenrod, here's a pro-tip: put a trashbag over the yellow seed heads and tie it off tight BEFORE you try to wrestle them out of the ground. You'll probably have a hard time getting all of the root so be vigilant next year - when it pops up pull it up before the yellow stuff appears. A little Roundup early will keep it under control too.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 08-25-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Chicken For This Useful Post:
creeper (08-25-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Most hydrangea species should be cut off to the ground when done for the season. Yours probably did not bloom because they were spending all their energy fending off this year's drought. As you probably know, they are Ph sensitive and in fact you can change the color of some just be adjusting soil Ph.

They were a fave cut flower from my California garden and the blooms lasted a long time in a vase. Cut the stems fresh and slice up the center about 1-2" and dip immediately in boiling vinegar. Then stick in a vase with water. Repeat now and then and they will last for weeks.

Tip is from a great little book, "How to Make Cut Flowers Last" written by the White House florist during the Kennedy administration. Grab it if you ever see a used copy.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

they are definitly thirsty,might want to get a bag of fert/manure trench around the base of them ring it so when you water it pools completly around.they are not growing to bloom because of the ground lacking nutrients...there are 2 tricks to these and rhodadendrums..if you leave them to brown out and stems stay with the manure boosting the soil and a good water schedule in the heat of the summer they will flower out.if you just want green with no flower just cut them down t the ground and mulch over for the fall winter.keep in mind the acid/alkaline range in the root ed soil gives you your color...check the neighborhood you'll see all different colors from white thru pinl and blue...and dark purple.check this site for color changing http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/colorchange.html

Last edited by biggles; 08-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Biggles' site is excellent.
Read the portions on pruning.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 296

What they said. I personally think they do better as an understory plant. Down here, direct sun stresses them and they die after a few years.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #8

there easy to reroot with Schultz "TAKEROOT" root hormone before they flower cut them off strip leaves down to the last 2 put in a 5 gallon of bucket of water in the shade..then start the process top soil and mulch or leaves on the bottom of pot and water weekly.in the ground yard ones when the sun is blasting them it is something how droopy the get.then a good watering into the roots come back an hour later and they are back to full leaves and healthy.pick up some of those cheap plastic containers that HD has their stuff in when re rooting,i usually let them go thru a winter dumping snow on top of them and plant the container in the springs

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote