Oil In JD 318 - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 586

Oil in JD 318

The guy I bought it from said to use detergent 30 wt. I believe....does that sound right? Just wondering.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Oil in JD 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
The guy I bought it from said to use detergent 30 wt. I believe....does that sound right? Just wondering.
"Detergent 30 wt"? Typically, unless an oil is labeled "non-detergent" it has detergents.

Anywhoo... Regular, straight 30W oil will be fine during the summer. But if you're going to use this beast to blow snow in the winter, you'll want to go with a multi-vis, such as 20W50.

Also, if you're going to use it a lot in the winter, you could go with a heavier synthetic oil, because synthetics flow easier in extreme cold than do dino oils.

On a personal note, when my sons & I were doing our lawn mowing service, I added some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to all my small engines. It may have been purely coincidental, but I never had an engine failure after I started using it.

Advertisement

Last edited by DrHicks; 09-18-2011 at 08:59 PM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586

Oil in JD 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
"Detergent 30 wt"? Typically, unless an oil is labeled "non-detergent" it has detergents.

Anywhoo... Regular, straight 30W oil will be fine during the summer. But if you're going to use this beast to blow snow in the winter, you'll want to go with a multi-vis, such as 20W50.

Also, if you're going to use it a lot in the winter, you could go with a heavier synthetic oil, because synthetics flow easier in extreme cold than do dino oils.

On a personal note, when my sons & I were doing our lawn mowing service, I added some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to all my small engines. It may have been purely coincidental, but I never had an engine failure after I started using it.
I figured "detergents" were typically used, but thanks for clarifying. Good to know about the synthetic stabilizer.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote