Newly Laid Sod - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Newly Laid Sod

About 2 months ago I laid down sod. Half of it died. The supplier agreed to replace it so 2 weeks later I mowed the good sod and replaced the dead sod.
I waited 2 weeks and mowed. It's now a another 2 weeks later and I will mow again. It looks good but there are spots where crabgrass is growing.
So it's been a total of about 2 months total since it's been laid down (1st section 2 months old and second section 1 month old).
Can I use Weed and Feed? It was hard work doing this and I am afraid of killing it but I don't want the crab grass to take over AGAIN.
I thought about pulling the crab grass out but then it would probably grow back.
Can anyone please advise of what I should do. I really don't have a GREEN THUMB.
Thanks.

Advertisement

grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 614

Newly Laid Sod

You mention several times about how often you mowed it, but how often did you water it? In all likelyhood, the grass died because it did not get enough water.
Spring and fall are the best times to be putting down sod. Summer is too hot and dry (unless you water it at least once a day). Where are you located?

For the crabgrass - get out your needle-nose pliers and yank it out.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

Newly Laid Sod

Water it twice a day but it started to brown the next day and only certain spots.
My only concern is the crabgrass right now.
I'll pull out the crabgrass with my pliers but when is fertilizing OK?
grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 614

Newly Laid Sod

There will be posts from people that know more about sod than me, but honestly, I am not sure when best to fertilize. I did some repairs with sod in the spring, and fertiled about 4 weeks later. But weed and feed is not going to do anything for crab-grass anyways. You will find weed and feed that will get rid of crab-grass, but when you read the label, it will say to put dit down in the spring before the seeds come up.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote