Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Newly Laid Sod

I put down some some this past Saturday. It looked good when done. But throughout the day and the following days there have been several patches that are yellow.
Should I replace with new sod or is there something that can be done to correct it?

Thanks.

grod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Newly Laid Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post
I put sown some some this past Saturday. It looked good when done. But throughout the day and the following days there have been several patches that are yellow.
Should I replace with new sod or is there something that can be done to correct it?

Thanks.

Could there be a dog peeing on it, causing the yellow patches? Dog urine is high in water-soluble nitrogen, which is sure to burn your lawn. Activated charcol sprinkled on and watered in will help bind up the nitrogen. The big box stores carry a product or two that basically does the same thing. If no dogs are around, then I would saturate those spots with water, in hopes of dilluting the problem. Of course, cutting those spots out and replacing shouldn't be too much work either.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Newly Laid Sod

No dogs. I have not let anyone near it. It's actually larger spots than an area where a dog would urinate. From one 2x5 piece of sod maybe half of it is yellow. For $5 a piece it might be easier just to replace but there are several pieces. Is there any hope for them or should I just call it a loss and replace?
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,348

Newly Laid Sod

What did you do to prep the soil below it before laying it?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Newly Laid Sod

I did not use anything. I had never done it before so I googled it and looked through a couple of dozen tutorials and none stated to prep the soil with anything other than till it and level it.
Other sections look good. So I don't understand why some sections turned yellow.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,028

Newly Laid Sod

It's the nature of the beast,just keep watering it daily for the next couple of weeks,and it will be fine.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #7

Newly Laid Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
It's the nature of the beast,just keep watering it daily for the next couple of weeks,and it will be fine.

Thanks. That;s the other thing. Some people say water it in at dusk and dawn and others say once a day. What's your take on it?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Newly Laid Sod

Remember sod is a transplant product and this is shocking to any plant. If more starts to yellow or turn brown you should be concerned. Meanwhile keep it moist and remember that until it roots you are growing just the sod. Do not over water. Sod can take much more care to establish than a seeded lawn and way more than a hydroseeded turf.

If the sod was more than a day or so old, you did not water it as you laid it down, and you did not roll it in contact with the soil you could have problems. Wait and see. You should have ammended and fertilized the soil but you can work around that.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,028

Newly Laid Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post
Thanks. That;s the other thing. Some people say water it in at dusk and dawn and others say once a day. What's your take on it?

It should NOT be watered in the evening,wet over night can cause problems.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Newly Laid Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
It should NOT be watered in the evening,wet over night can cause problems.
Absolutely correct. You should never water turf, new or established, at dusk or so pre-dawn in the morning it sits moist for any length of time and in darkness when nocturnal insects are afoot. Doing so just invites bugs to lay eggs in it and disease spores to get a hold.

Just-pre-sunup or early morning is a great time to water as breezes are usually calm and evaporation from the heat of the day will not evaporate water too quickly. The turf has plenty of time to dry out before nightfall.

And of course, you always want too water as deeply and infrequently as makes sense for your turfgrass type to encourage root growth. However, you may want to wet the grass too minimize moisture loss with a quick cycle during extreme heat spells. Deeply watered and nicely rooted turf will snap back from the worst heat though even if it looks stressed temporarily.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Newly Laid Sod

The best thing you can do it to water it two or three time a day. When they cut the sod they cut off about 2/3's of the root system. More then likely it is turning yellow either because you didn't install it right away or because it needs more water. Never order the sod until you are ready to install it.

Siaster is offline   Reply With Quote