Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

newbie when it comes to landscaping

we have two rather large beds (500 sq ft each) that we cleaned up and planted some perennials and annuals, and some various other stuff (fruit trees, there are some grapes vines in there). we are not very knowledgeable of whats in there beside what we planted; but they look nice. we also de-weeded everything.

we are getting married in the back yard in Aug so we want to add some sort of mulch to the beds.

i can get eco mulch for $36/yd delivered or wood chips for $12/yd delivered.

due to other costs (new deck and paver patio) money is tight and i can justify spending over $150 on mulch/wood unless there is no other option. with the mulch, i might just be able to do 1" deep all around but with the wood chips i can go 2-3" and have it still be cheaper.

is there a huge difference between eco mulch and wood chips? for the plants? aesthetically? what is the maintenance?

langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

There is a bunch of different stuff sold throughout the US that is different. What is your eco-mulch?

One thing to keep in mind is that fresh mulch will draw nitrogen from the soil for it to decompose so you will have to compensate with some extra food for your plants the more raw bark or whatever you use.

Rubber mulch might be worth pricing.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

mulch doesn't pull near as much oxygen out as wood chips/bark.

The rubber crap will leach hydrocarbons into your soil over time. I wouldn't want that in my fruit/veg garden.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

I think Eco mulch is just undyed recycled mulch.

These are flower beds so if no one can provide a good reason NOT to put woodchips in there for aesthetics, that's what I'll do.... And compensate for the nitrogen.
langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #5

Do it, you'll be fine.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote