Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #1

Share |

New Tree Suggestions

Hello. I have two Large spruce trees in my front yard. They will be getting removed because they are too large for the front of the house. The tree service is supposed to remove them and remove the stumps along with the giant roots. The roots have ruined the walk-way and the driveway.

Once these trees are removed I will be getting top soil to level the front yard because it is very uneven. The front of the yard goes out to the street and a "pond" is developed when it rains so I plan on using top soil here and plant grass.

The front of the house has multiple bushes/miniature green trees that look like they will bloom with something (Just moved in 7 months ago). These are closest to the house and outlines with red mulch. The house is a red brick ranch. I would like to plant a tree in the front yard nothing that will over power the house like the big spruce trees. I would like it to stay small and bloom something white. My favorite trees are weeping willows so something that is small that would resemble this that gets flowers.

I am located in Northeastern PA...

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

New Tree Suggestions

Check with your arborist or library to see what trees they recommend for planting in your climate and that are resistant to insects, fungus and so forth. To encourage diversity, the arborist in twin cities where I lived in Central Illinois put out a great planting guide.

As you probably know, weeping willows are real water hogs and do not get along well with foundations. They do no bloom.

Whether a species of weeping cherry would grow tall enough for you or survive your climate (may depend on how sheltered your yard) is something you should check with a nursery. Cherries will bloom in the Spring. You might look into other Japanese flowering cherries.

See what other trees might suit you. Flowering (semi-ornamental) purple plums have whitish/pinkinsh blooms, nice trunk and limb structure if you prune them from the start and deep purple bark that is nice in winter. Not sure about survival in your climate.

Dogwoods make nice picturesque small trees. You can get them to bloom in white or pink. A species of deciduous magnolia should work.

Best to see what trees will survive in your climate.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #3

New Tree Suggestions

standard hydrageana
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

New Tree Suggestions

white dogwood?
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

New Tree Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
standard hydrageana
Love hydgrangeas because with some species you can change their color just by changing soil ph. I have never seen a standard (which does not necessarily mean anything). Do you know if this is grafted? I am guessing it must be. I used to buy clients grafted azaleas for container plantings that were nice too.

Last edited by user1007; 04-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

New Tree Suggestions

I think you are probably correct about the grafting. It seems you can buy almost anything as a standard these days
Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

New Tree Suggestions

I have three standard hydrandeas in my garden because I love them also. They start white and change to pink closer to frost time. I also have a standard blue spruce thats a good anchor
Old 04-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

New Tree Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I have three standard hydrandeas in my garden because I love them also. They start white and change to pink closer to frost time. I also have a standard blue spruce thats a good anchor
Sounds like a great combination of color and texture! Does the hydrangea stock get frost bitten in winter where you are? I guess it doesn't matter as I am guessing you cut it way back like with any hydrangea?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

New Tree Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Sounds like a great combination of color and texture! Does the hydrangea stock get frost bitten in winter where you are? I guess it doesn't matter as I am guessing you cut it way back like with any hydrangea?
We do get very deep freezes here, but I like to cut back in the spring on certain things because of the great winter interest they provide. Plus you can throw them in a Christmas arrangment.

Did you know that you don't necessarily have to cut way back on a hydrangea. Annabelle anyway, not so sure about pee wee or others. If you cut right back you will get a ton of blooms, but if you just deadhead you will get less blooms but the mopheads are the size of dinner plates.

My standards are still young, but so far i just deadhead them and remove any twisted inner branches and it is quite a spectacular sight come mid august
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #10

New Tree Suggestions

Thank you for the suggestions! Still waiting for tree service to call.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #11

New Tree Suggestions

here I can take a soil sample and for $2 learn the ph of the soil. Then, you need to know what planting 'zone' you're in. You can google suggestions for city trees, 20' limit and for the color white.

Not Walmart, but there should be a local nursery that might be reliable.

I've called the county Ag. Extension office for help also.

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote