Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

New Motor Design Rivals Gas Powered

I hope this does not come across as spam since I certainly do not intend it as such. I am simply sharing brand new technology without any endorsement for the product. Core has come up with a novel new small electric motor design that does not use typical windings. It delivers high torgue, extended battery life and a weight significantly lower than other comparable gas or electric tools.

http://coreoutdoorpower.com/

It is rather cool that you can buy one power unit and other attachments to go on it---hedge trimmer, blower, etc. I did not look to see what things cost. My need for garden equipment is over.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

I am skeptical. Could you find anything on the website that specifies what power, or torque and speed, their motor will produce. Or how much electrical power it uses to produce that output? I couldn't. Without the specs, their claims are rather meaningless.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I am extremely skeptical about claims for greatly improved electrical tool performance. Most electric motors are already over 90 percent efficient, so there is little room for improvement there. In fact, a 2 percent improvement in efficiency would be so radical as to make the inventor billions of dollars.

Second, electric motors are very well developed technology. Nicola Tesla developed the fundamental three phase electric motor over a hundred years ago. In fact, he received four patents for motors, including a synchronous motor, a two phase motor, and two varieties of induction motors, and the design he developed is still essentially in use to this day.

Now there have been a variety of different single phase motors developed, and there are some "new" types of DC motors (less than 50 years old), but there has been little improvement in efficiency or torque in many years, so any company claiming great improvements has a lot of selling to do. "Great claims require great evidence."
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Well Dan..... How about my miraculous GAS SAVING DEVICE for only $99, (plus shipping and handling)....................................... .................................................. .................................................. ...................................

(It only has two wheels................... and pedals)

Best
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

Looks awesome... But I never set myself up as a paying test subject. Someone big owns these guys I bet.
Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

.... but their string trimmer gets very good reviews at this site:
http://www.stringtrimmersdirect.com/...mer/p8709.html

But what is funny, is that if you go to the "Q&A" tab of that link, a fellow asks what type of battery and what is the voltage. Reply is that it is not a normal battery, it is a new system made from printed circuit boards. I thought that was very strange --- the Core website makes that description of the motor, not the battery. The manual on the Core website describes the "power cell" as being lithium battery, 20.5 volts.

Last edited by SPS-1; 06-27-2013 at 03:00 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Well that website isn't the manufacture....
Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Then we had the guy who claimed to have made a better motor that ia frictionless, that was trying to pull one over on everyone.

Most of the power loss happens during start of motion, from the battery, so unless they are also putting into the circuit design a way to replace power lost from heat created by the battery, along with loss of charge from start and stop while using, it can be placed up there with the rest of the snake oil.

They would have to invent a better power source, not means of motion for it to become revolutionary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Interesting comments so far.

When I lived here last, a friend and I built the Inventors Council from scratch. Dr. Moyer lives in my building now and we go over such stuff as I posted. He is a retired patent agent.

As orignally posted, I find this motor idea intriguing. Medicine wagon stuff? Although the white collar head of public information the American Institute of Physics, and once this State's representative to Congressional Caucus on Science and technology?

I just do not really care about whether motors in garden tools work anymore.

But I will say that while wound copper around a core has and will work for ages, and while energy efficient at a glance? At what cost to mine the copper, and dispose of it when done?

If any audiophiles are out there with copper wound around cores ever defining the performance of that little tweeter. What if a deposited, not wound speaker core could replace it?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #10

Here is a white paper on Axial Flux motors, including the printed circuit stator.
https://www.navalengineers.org/Proce...S2012Paper.pdf

My concern is the printed circuit. With proper engineering/cooling there is no reason why it cannot be successful. However, I have had horrible experiences with heat related failures of Printed Circuit boards in appliances. Until these prove to have a longer life, I think I'll stick to a traditionally wound stator.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote