New Lawn Seedling, How To Keep Surface Flat? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

New lawn seedling, how to keep surface flat?

I just got the weeping tiles redone around the house, I will be growing my own lawn. A challenge I did not forsee is because of stepping around in it to spread seed as well as move the sprinker constantly, the foot prints create bumps. Will this naturally level off, or will I end up with a really bumpy lawn? What is the best way to keep this straight? I coudl buy a roller but I have a hard time justifying 100+ bucks for a tool I'll only use once and it will take up lot of space in the garage. I made an improvised flatner using a 2x2 and plywood but there's not really enough weight to truely make it flat.

I could rake it and that might help move the seeds around and get them in more, but I still have to walk around on it to move the sprinkler/hose and get to the faucet (the faucet being on the house, had to get dug around it too).

How is this normally dealt with, or do I need to not worry about it?

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would wait until your seed has germinated and filled in a bit so you know for sure what you have. You will probably have to roll at some point to even things out but no reason to compact the soil until you have to do so. You will want to use the roller half full of water so it is not quite so heavy.

You should be able to rent a landscape roller for next to nothing. Some real nurseries, sod farms, etc. used to offer loaners. I've had not need for one in ages so do not know if they still do or not.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Wire Chewer

I just went and raked the whole thing and I will only have a few designated walking spots, so I can hopefully keep the rest flat. I'll look to see if one of the tool rental places rents rollers. So I should just wait till it's starting to germinate to use it then and not worry too much now?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Got a torrential downpour, it pretty much ruined a few sections because of the gutter pipes leading there. Think the seeds in the other areas should be ok being that wet or should I reseed? Given it's probably going to rain again I'm going to leave the ruined areas be and deal with them once the majority of the lawn is growing as it will be easier to walk to those places. Also, how long should I expect to see sprouts? I'm getting conflicting info when I google it, basically 3 days to a month. I hope it's not a month given that's a big chunk of what's left of summer.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Got a torrential downpour, it pretty much ruined a few sections because of the gutter pipes leading there. Think the seeds in the other areas should be ok being that wet or should I reseed? Given it's probably going to rain again I'm going to leave the ruined areas be and deal with them once the majority of the lawn is growing as it will be easier to walk to those places. Also, how long should I expect to see sprouts? I'm getting conflicting info when I google it, basically 3 days to a month. I hope it's not a month given that's a big chunk of what's left of summer.
At this point, I'd leave the lawn alone until you see what you've got. This isn't going to be a "once and done" type of project. You'll be doing some reseeding and patching later this year, and next year.

Germination depends on a lot of things, but mostly the type of grass seed, and the soil condition. I've had grass take a full 20 days to germinate, and I've also had it come up in about 5 days (The 5 day germination was seeding that I just did earlier this year. It's VERY warm, and the patch is right by the house, so I watered it about 4 times daily. Perfect conditions.).

At this point, you need to fight your impulses, relax and give it some time. There's nothing you're going to do that will speed up the process.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
At this point, I'd leave the lawn alone until you see what you've got.
At this point, you need to fight your impulses, relax and give it some time. There's nothing you're going to do that will speed up the process.
Yup! Sneaky contractor blends of turf seed have huge amounts of ANNUAL rye seed that will germinate almost the second it hits soil. It is a coarse water and nutrient hog and only good for one season. PERENNIAL rye will usually germinate in 7-10 day but bluegrasses and fescues can take up to 20-30 days under NORMAL conditions.

Seed is amazing when you think about it. Among its characteristics is that it tends to protect itself from germination if growing conditions are not favorable and their is little chance of survival.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Cool so I'll just leave it alone then. I just hope this rain stops, it's ruining the soil more every hour and eroding it away. I'm sure the lack of sun aint helping either. Lots of sun and controlled watering is what I really need. The seed I got is meant for sun and shade areas so it's multipurpose.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Cool so I'll just leave it alone then. I just hope this rain stops, it's ruining the soil more every hour and eroding it away. I'm sure the lack of sun aint helping either. Lots of sun and controlled watering is what I really need. The seed I got is meant for sun and shade areas so it's multipurpose.
Send some of that rain our way! It's been relentlessly hot and dry here for a month.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Oh we need the rain too.... just terrible timing! If only it had held off for a week or so. Right now it's not too bad though, it's down to just drizzle so at least I don't have multiple gallons a second coming out of the gutters. That's what was doing the real damage.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,022

You might put down an old spread or bedsheet so the soil doesn't keep getting eroded.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote