DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   New to lawn care, need guidance/help (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/new-lawn-care-need-guidance-help-139729/)

rotteneggz 04-08-2012 11:05 PM

New to lawn care, need guidance/help
 
This will be our third summer in our home and i'd like to do some work on my yard to get it up to par.
It is looking better then it did before we bought the house but there is a lot more room for improvement.

I did not get a chance to check the PH levels but will do it this week.

Right now my front lawn is full of rocks and patches. I went through it this morning with my cousin and we got most of the big ones out, there are only little ones that remain.

There are patches all over my lawn including it being very uneven with some dips and some high sections. My neighbor suggested i place a thin layer of top soil on top of my current lawn, drop down some grass seeds and then add another layer of top soil.

I also have a few feet of lawn beside my house that does not get much sunlight. Don't know if i should just drop down some sod instead of using seeds.

I've attached a couple of what i am working with.
http://i.imgur.com/up9XE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BNe5D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/e1IHZ.jpg

joecaption 04-08-2012 11:28 PM

http://www.scotts.com/smg/common/tem...ageId=19300170

Grass does not grow on stone they all have to go.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/common/tem...ageId=19300170

chrisn 04-09-2012 03:03 AM

Every place there is a rock the grass will not grow:no:

packer_rich 04-09-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninacook (Post 894915)
Make your flooring dream a reality with a new hardwood floor! As one of Arizona's top certified flooring specialists and provide you leading name brands on all flooring.


I think this response is off topic. He's talking about grass, not flooring.

rotteneggz 04-09-2012 09:05 AM

I can go through my lawn a few more times and get most of the rocks out. If not what other options do i have?
I'll take a look at the scotts website and try to get some basics down.

Still don't know what to do about the front yard being uneven/patches... Should i just use a rototiller and start from scratch with some grass seeds or can i recover what i have?

Ravenworks 04-09-2012 09:38 AM

Simple answer-"Topsoil"
You need to open up the strip of dirt along your house and rake the rocks and other stuff out of it.
Then add some topsoil seed and starter fertilizer and you sould have a nice yard in a few weeks.
Where ever you have bare spots add some soil and seed,Scotts makes an All-in-One product for this but you need topsoil.

Evstarr 04-09-2012 06:19 PM

You should think about filling in the dips and gullies too while your at it.
Also don't seed if you've recently put down a pre emergent weed treatment recently. (don't ask lol)
Take the opportunity to make solute the lawn is graded away from the house. Don't skimp on the soil and add plenty of compost as a top dressing. Get the kids to clomping around in cleats to poke holes in the surface. If your soil drains poorly, fork in some compost or some coarse builders sand a couple times a year. It'll look like hell a bit longer but after a good dose of top soil and compost it will be worth it in the long run.

rotteneggz 04-09-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenworks (Post 894988)
Simple answer-"Topsoil"
You need to open up the strip of dirt along your house and rake the rocks and other stuff out of it.
Then add some topsoil seed and starter fertilizer and you sould have a nice yard in a few weeks.
Where ever you have bare spots add some soil and seed,Scotts makes an All-in-One product for this but you need topsoil.

Thanks. I went to my local garden house/lawn care specialist and he suggested i do just what you said. Thin layer of topsoil + level it out -> Grass Seeds -> Another thin layer of topsoil. What do you mean open up the strip of dirt along my house? You mean around the edge of the house?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evstarr8
You should think about filling in the dips and gullies too while your at it.
Also don't seed if you've recently put down a pre emergent weed treatment recently. (don't ask lol)
Take the opportunity to make solute the lawn is graded away from the house. Don't skimp on the soil and add plenty of compost as a top dressing. Get the kids to clomping around in cleats to poke holes in the surface. If your soil drains poorly, fork in some compost or some coarse builders sand a couple times a year. It'll look like hell a bit longer but after a good dose of top soil and compost it will be worth it in the long run.

I was thinking of putting down some weed treatment before doing all this. If i put down weed treatment and then do what i said above would that still hurt the grass seeds?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Ravenworks 04-09-2012 06:48 PM

What I meant was for you to spade up the dirt so it can breath abd you are able to mix in some top soil.
If you are going to use something like round up you will have to wait a week or two then do what you were planning to do.

gregzoll 04-09-2012 06:50 PM

The best solution is to remove all of the grass, and then get the soil fertilized, etc, then put down sod. One it will look finished, and two, you do not have to worry about looking at a yard of dirt for the rest of the year. If you do not want to go with the sod route, talk to some lawn care companies in your area that can give you an estimate to fix it for you. At this point, it is too late to put down pre-emergent, but you can still use Fertilizer any time, and same with bug control & weed & feed. I put down pre-emergent on our lawn back in Jan. since we had such a warm Winter, and then in early March, put down Weed & feed, and no weeds or Crab grass, and the yard looks fuller & greener, because I hit it earlier than normal.

Ravenworks 04-09-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 895328)
The best solution is to remove all of the grass, and then get the soil fertilized, etc, then put down sod. One it will look finished, and two, you do not have to worry about looking at a yard of dirt for the rest of the year.
.

I put my yard (300' x 150') in with seed in one day with a harley rake and had grass to cut in two weeks. Ripping everything out and putting sod down is expensive!

DrHicks 04-10-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 895328)
The best solution is to remove all of the grass, and then get the soil fertilized, etc, then put down sod. One it will look finished, and two, you do not have to worry about looking at a yard of dirt for the rest of the year.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on this one. The worst lawns we ever mowed were sodded lawns.

gregzoll 04-10-2012 10:13 AM

Really depends on who laid it, along with maintence.

DrHicks 04-10-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 895730)
Really depends on who laid it, along with maintence.

Yeah, you're right, it does. A lot of variables.

My first aversion to sod is the cost of it, versus the cost of just seeding. But I've also been on too many sodded lawns that, 4-5 years after being laid, still haven't rooted down into the topsoil well. I'm not sure what the problem was.

gregzoll 04-10-2012 12:14 PM

Ground was not prepared properly, along with the sod not watered weekly, and of course grubs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved