New Grass - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

new grass

I added new grass seed here in June. It started off looking really good, but now it just looks burnt out. I constantly watered it for about a month and a half. What are my next steps? Wait until fall, use the same grass seed? I live in cold WI winters and hot summers.

Advertisement

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

new grass

I'm sure you'll get a better response from someone else that's more knowledgeable that me... ut to me it doesn't look too bad for less than 2 months of growing time... especially in the heat of the summer.

Advertisement

NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 564

new grass

Have you fertilized it since you seeded? If no, do it as soon as you can.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

new grass

Look at your grass seed blend. Was it a mix of hybrid perennial, not annual rye, bluegrass and fescue?

Assuming you prepped the soil and provided adequate moisture through the seed germination? Several times per day perhaps? Hybrid perennial rye turf seeds should sprout in about 7-10 days. Fescue and bluegrass, under great conditions usually take 28 days. Seeds of any kind can only do their thing when moist, not wet.

My guess is you did not give your turf seed a fair chance. Planting in summer, you just roasted 2/3 of the seed mix you bought to its death. You only ended up growing one species in the nice mix. If you topped dressed, the bluegrass and fescue may still sprout. If you baked the seed without top dressing it is gone, dead and call for a funeral.

Good news by the way? Your real nursery or non-box store hardware place with a garden section should be getting really nice, bulk turf seed in stock soon for fall planting. You will be able to smell it when you walk near. Pick what you want, scarify your lawn surface, overseed and top dress. Keep it all moist through the germination period this time OK? The bulk seed will not come with pretty lawn pictures but I will send you one with a glue stick if it would make you feel better.

Last edited by user1007; 08-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 156

new grass

Try this stuff. I'm using it for mine and would like to see more data; looks legit and isn't ridiculously expensive so I have no qualms in spreading the wealth. If it falls flat, they stop getting free advertising from me.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #6

new grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Look at your grass seed blend. Was it a mix of hybrid perennial, not annual rye, bluegrass and fescue?

Assuming you prepped the soil and provided adequate moisture through the seed germination? Several times per day perhaps? Hybrid perennial rye turf seeds should sprout in about 7-10 days. Fescue and bluegrass, under great conditions usually take 28 days. Seeds of any kind can only do their thing when moist, not wet.

My guess is you did not give your turf seed a fair chance. Planting in summer, you just roasted 2/3 of the seed mix you bought to its death. You only ended up growing one species in the nice mix. If you topped dressed, the bluegrass and fescue may still sprout. If you baked the seed without top dressing it is gone, dead and call for a funeral.

Good news by the way? Your real nursery or non-box store hardware place with a garden section should be getting really nice, bulk turf seed in stock soon for fall planting. You will be able to smell it when you walk near. Pick what you want, scarify your lawn surface, overseed and top dress. Keep it all moist through the germination period this time OK? The bulk seed will not come with pretty lawn pictures but I will send you one with a glue stick if it would make you feel better.

Milwaukee, WI
Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

new grass

Why does he need a glue stick? Is that what grass seed smells like?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #8

new grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

I keep the grass seed moist at all times which is why I don't understand why its not growing well. It started growing very nicely, but then just stopped. I need help in determining what to do now in fall to make sure it looks food in Spring. The other issue is this area will never look level to the brass around it unless I add topsoil. My other big problem is birds. Once I add grass seed they are all over it.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #9

new grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
I keep the grass seed moist at all times which is why I don't understand why its not growing well.
Depends on your definition of "Moist". Overwatered, bad. Underwatered, evaporates out of the soil.

Irrigation is hard. ... everything is hard.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #10

new grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post

Depends on your definition of "Moist". Overwatered, bad. Underwatered, evaporates out of the soil.

Irrigation is hard. ... everything is hard.
The grass stopped growing after the middle of July and it slowly just started looking dried out. I used a sprinkler on some days and on other days I used a regular hose for 10 minutes at least.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #11

new grass

I am ready to fertilize my lawn soon, but the dry weather is holding me back. Should I also fertilize this new grass or just add new grass seed in fall and skip fertilizing it for now?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

new grass

Quote:
I am ready to fertilize my lawn soon, but the dry weather is holding me back. Should I also fertilize this new grass or just add new grass seed in fall and skip fertilizing it for now?
I would fertilize it. Unless you plan on tearing it out in the fall, fertilizing it will help it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

new grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post

I would fertilize it. Unless you plan on tearing it out in the fall, fertilizing it will help it.
Our area isn't supposed to get any rain for 5-7 days ....I need help with a water schedule. Should I stick with Scott's or my local nursery? I used my local nursery for the grass seed. It started off really well, but then after 2 months the results shifted. Scotts maybe?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #14

new grass

Quote:
Our area isn't supposed to get any rain for 5-7 days ....I need help with a water schedule. Should I stick with Scott's or my local nursery? I used my local nursery for the grass seed. It started off really well, but then after 2 months the results shifted. Scotts maybe?
Not knowing your climate, I would water once per day until the grass got some height and then cut it back. Where I am on the East Coast, there's a tremendous amount of dew in the morning which helps the grass.
I'm not a grass pro, but a shot of fertilizer followed by reseeding next month should get you going. I would stay with the local nursery. They can give you a much better seed mix than Scotts.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #15

new grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post

Not knowing your climate, I would water once per day until the grass got some height and then cut it back. Where I am on the East Coast, there's a tremendous amount of dew in the morning which helps the grass.
I'm not a grass pro, but a shot of fertilizer followed by reseeding next month should get you going. I would stay with the local nursery. They can give you a much better seed mix than Scotts.
I used the locals, but something isn't right. The grass stopped growing.

Advertisement