Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |

New fuel for power tools

Who would buy this?

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yar...eb2011_blast_3

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

New fuel for power tools

Quote:
Who would buy this?
Nope,... I'm already carryin' mixed gas for the rest of my power tools,...
Why would I wanta add another fuel, that I'd haveta carry,..??

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

New fuel for power tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Nope,... I'm already carryin' mixed gas for the rest of my power tools,...
Why would I wanta add another fuel, that I'd haveta carry,..??
Ayuhhhh......
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
DIY'er

New fuel for power tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Interesting. I don't use a string trimmer that often, but I have a big enough yard that when I do use one, an electric one is a big pain. Since I use it infrequently, the gas one tends to gum up and not want to start, it's too much of a pain to drain it or burn it out in between uses.

This sounds like it might be a good solution. I bet it would be better for occasional use than a gas one does.
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #5

New fuel for power tools

I've been thinking about going propane for a while now. Propane is nice because it burns cleaner than gasoline, meaning your oil, spark plugs, etc stay kosher longer. It also stores really well; unlike gasoline/diesel, which needs some sort of additive like sta-bil or pri-g added to it every year. These days, you can find a propane generator, mower, refrigerator, air-conditioner, heater, etc. When the power goes out, you're covered. The only thing that's keeping me away from propane is the price.
suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

New fuel for power tools

I don't know why most things arn't propane these days. It's a much cleaner gas (still not super clean, but cleaner) and not to mention is way cheaper. It's also not prone to spills which is ideal for yard work.

Are those little canisters refillable? If you need to buy them and then throw them out, I can see that being a problem. You might not be contributing as bad to greenhouse gases, but it is increasing contribution to landfil waste.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 02-26-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
DIY'er

New fuel for power tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Are those little canisters refillable? If you need to buy them and then throw them out, I can see that being a problem. You might not be contributing as bad to greenhouse gases, but it is increasing contribution to landfil waste.
Technically yes, but as far as I know it is still illegal to refill them. You can buy a thing to refill them at HarborFreight.
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

New fuel for power tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I don't know why most things arn't propane these days. It's a much cleaner gas (still not super clean, but cleaner) and not to mention is way cheaper. It's also not prone to spills which is ideal for yard work.

Stores like Harbor Freight sell valves that allow you to refill those camp cylinders from 20lb gas grill tanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...kit-45989.html

I guess the only question is how does one know when those camp cylinders are full.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #9

New fuel for power tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvee View Post
I've been thinking about going propane for a while now. Propane is nice because it burns cleaner than gasoline, meaning your oil, spark plugs, etc stay kosher longer. It also stores really well; unlike gasoline/diesel, which needs some sort of additive like sta-bil or pri-g added to it every year. These days, you can find a propane generator, mower, refrigerator, air-conditioner, heater, etc. When the power goes out, you're covered. The only thing that's keeping me away from propane is the price.
Burnt propane does have a smell. Not as much from a gas grill, but if you ever walk behind a forklift that burns propane, it's an acrid stench.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #10

New fuel for power tools

The nicest thing is if you put trimmer in a vehicle you don't have to worry about gas spills.

They came out with augers for ice fishermen that use propane. The dealers could not keep them on the shelf. One dealer sold 40 of them in two days. Ice fishermen have been using gas augers for years this was a better idea whose time had come. They are much quieter and if the exhaust doesn't stink up your clothes like gasoline.
peteE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #11

New fuel for power tools

And, coming soon to a lawnmower near you. As others state, there a lots of advantages to using propane over gasoline.

Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote