DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

new deck or paver patio

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  handyguy 
#1 ·
Just purchased a new home with ~ a 20x20 deck - its original to the house so its about 18 years old, with cedar planking. Its pretty much come to the end of its life although depending on how much labor I want to put into it I can probably get another year or two out of it - just not sure if I want to.

It is off of a set of sliders from the kitchen with a small step down onto the deck, then there are 3 steps from the deck down to the yard. So like most I am thinking about something maint free and trying to decide between composites/wood or maybe even getting rid of the deck and putting in a paver patio. I have read the many discussions regarding composites and while some are happy some are not (as with anything), however I am thinking that the most maint free option may be the paver patio. Is it realistic to have a paver patio step down from kitchen sliders which could turn out to be 4 or 5 steps? Not sure if that would look funny? Also, since my propane tank is buried nearby I am thinking that a nice fire pit off to one side would be a nice touch.

Since cost is an issue and I will probably not do this job myself, any ideas which is the most economical? What are the average prices of labor and material for pavers versus composite? If it helps I am in the NY area.

Thanks for any and all feedback - this is the first time on this forum and I am sure I will be around for a while.

See less See more
#2 ·
PAVER PATIO is the best

I faced similar decision in the past and end up going for PAVER patio although it has not been materialized yet.... but I think this is the way to go if it is not too many steps... in your case... 4 or 5 step is not... you can use longer tread and landing etc. to make steps look nice... there are so many design you can go with....

for Deck... I don't like the fact that it requires maintenance and it's look will kind of look worse and worse over time.... whereas Paver patio looks are almost not changed much over time.... and there are so many variaty of design you can go with.....

#3 ·
Thanks - I am certainly leaning towards the paver option - I know I need to do some homework regarding costs, etc - however any idea of the estimated s/f costs of pavers installed? I have 400-450 s/f.

I will end up putting the composite on my front porch and leave the back for pavers

#4 ·
cost in Toronto

Thanks - I am certainly leaning towards the paver option - I know I need to do some homework regarding costs, etc - however any idea of the estimated s/f costs of pavers installed? I have 400-450 s/f.

I will end up putting the composite on my front porch and leave the back for pavers
cost in Toronto would range from $4500 to $5500 I would think base on the quote experience I got from two different contractors...

the one I had is $10 per sq. ft approx which I heard is a really good deal... but don't know if he will have time to do mine because he promise to start after 10 days and I kind of wait and see....

#7 ·
I would go with a patio -- it gives you many more landscaping options for making the patio blend in with the surrounding yard. The steps could be wide steps that helps make that change in grade more seamless. We did a (real) brick patio for about $12 per square foot. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.