Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need some thorny security hedge or bush

Hello everyone,

I need some suggestions as to thorny bushes or cacti to plant below a bedroom window to deter burglars away from it. The window gets morning through to mid-afternoon sun (faces southeast, I think).

Soil below is hard pack and most likely has clay. Any suggestions or experience with thorny security hedge plantings??? Would like plants that don't require a lot of maintenance, or a lot of watering. I'm in southern California.
Oh, the window is about 6 to 7 feet off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some thorny security hedge or bush-bdrm-window-002.jpg   Need some thorny security hedge or bush-bdrm-window-001.jpg  

sierra1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #2

just a couple of private hedges will do the trick once they root and grow up to 4-5 ft under the window it is impossible to get near the window.the hedges will stop a guy from climbing up into the window.i have private hedges along my front living room windows and just cutting them in the space between the house and the hedge is tight i couldn't get in the window with my best effort add that height and your good..psssst a nice window box won't hurt either

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

from the pic seems like that window is about 6 or 7 feet up making it hard for anyone without a ladder to get in anyways so u prolly dont necessarily need something thorny just something to obstruct a ladder from begin put there unless ur purp is spiderman
rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

Our neighborhood watch discourages planting large hedges/bushes in this manner because they can provide 'cover' for bad guys breaking into the house or hiding. You could plant a low extra-thorny rose which would look nice and be thorny, but it shouldn't be big enough to conceal a person.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the great suggestions. This window has already been breached in that someone did gain entry by climbing up and in. We suspect an accomplice hoisted someone up, they removed the screen, slid the window to the full open position and then climbed in.

We have considered various security possibilities ie unsightly window bars, window box but maintenance would be difficult due to the window screens from inside and from the 7 feet height outside, cacti that grow slow.... Hedges seem to be the best option.

We don't want to grow a hedge that could end up being a 'step' but if it were wide and deep enough to prevent a ladder being placed close against the building next to the window, that might help deter a future break in. A thorny bush would be even better.

Any photos examples to share would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited by sierra1194; 09-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.
sierra1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

http://www.met.police.uk/crimeprevention/garden.htm check this site out it has numerous ideas for your concerns
rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Looks like a nice spot for a blackberry patch. Thorns-o-plenty,fruit to eat and they are not thick enough for someone to hide behind.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-24-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

Hardy Orange (Poncirus trifoliata) might work for you. It has wicked 2" long thorns that would be devastating to anyone trying to climb in your window.

Pyracantha also has nasty thorns.

Both of these plants do well in my area- you should check if they will grow in southern California.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Don't know it all, yet!

I'm with GC on the plant suggestions. You might also consider some of the chinese hollies, the ones with the sharp spines. They will grow close to the house and dense and can be trimmed (if you must). Just depends on whether you want high or low, dense or open, etc.

However, can you not secure the window? Not that there's anything wrong with planting, but that would be my first choice.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 12

how about one of these, either inside or outside?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp dog.bmp (31.7 KB, 84 views)
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #11

Hawthorns especially some of the larger thorned cocksburr varieties. http://www.ehow.com/info_8659031_kin...rny-canes.html

brickandmoss is offline   Reply With Quote