Need Some Patio Advice. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need some patio advice.

Hey guys. Here is a picture of my patio. My plan is to remove all the old brick, re grade and then put down new pavers. Sounds simple but I'm not sure how to go about this. The left side in the photo is the side of my house. The other two sides have grass around them which is about 6 inches higher than the patio. The back of the picture would be my back door stepping down into the patio. Right now the patio holds water when it rains. What should the new grading look like before I go to re-do this? Should I be installing drainage. Once the grading is figured out, I am good from there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

-Andrew

Need some patio advice.-img_8673-1-.jpg

Advertisement

yocoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Need some patio advice.

It looks to me like your patio has simply sunk over the years. The flooding is due to the patio being the low spot in your yard. If that's the problem, you should be fine to solve it.

My first thought would be to pull out all the stone/wood, lay 6-8 inches of dust and chips (or pea gravel) over the existing base, tamp the dust and chips/gravel and relay the patio stone. When doing this, ensure that the patio base slopes away from the house. If this is not possible, than you have a bigger problem on your hands. But generally, slope 1-2 inches per 8 feet away from your house and you should be good. 6' level is your best friend on this job.

Advertisement

Huck2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Need some patio advice.

Have you already removed one section in that photo, and planning to remove the remainder? Or is one section much lower than the others?
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

Need some patio advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Have you already removed one section in that photo, and planning to remove the remainder? Or is one section much lower than the others?
i already removed the one section and planning to remove the rest. I just needed some direction on the grading!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

Need some patio advice.

Here is a better photo for reference. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some patio advice.-img_8684-1-.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

Need some patio advice.

Where does water go now? Does the lot drop off towards the front or rear of the house?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Need some patio advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Where does water go now? Does the lot drop off towards the front or rear of the house?
If it rains hard enough, it pools in those squares. I believe it originally would run to the left of the picture, that would be my plan. The yard goes uphill and the patio is the low spot.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #8

Need some patio advice.

Having the individual sections like that wasn't helping the situation.

I'd try and slope from right to left in the last picture. You've got that thin strip between the existing patio and fence . . . does that give you access to the front yard? Is your neighbors driveway on the other side of the fence.

Sloping away from the house is the easy part. Collecting and/or diverting all that water to a better place is the harder part, particularly if you are on a flat lot. Do you have any pictures from the front and back of the house so we can try and determine the best place to direct that water?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

Need some patio advice.

That thin strip I was thinking could be some drainage. The other side of the fence is the neighbors driveway, yes. I do have access to the front yard from that strip using a gate. I also want to do away with the wood "divider" the original owner put it to make squares. I'll grab more pics when I get home from work.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #10

Need some patio advice.

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Need some patio advice.-new-image3.jpg   Need some patio advice.-new-image.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

Need some patio advice.

Well obviously trying to direct things to the front of the house is going to be the best (maybe only) option. From there gravity will get it to the street. Probably makes sense to try and get that downspout water (I see two) to go the same place.

Trench drains along the patio edge would work well, but that could get pricey. If you could make a little dry creek bed, or small swale along the fence line, you'd probably be okay.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #12

Need some patio advice.

progress, it looks way more level now. I was thinking it would be so much easier just to pour a slab but pricey. I guess now i need to grade towards the left of the picture and get a drain in there somewhere?

Thanks!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Need some patio advice.-img_8719-1-.jpg   Need some patio advice.-img_8720-1-.jpg  

Last edited by yocoop; 04-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #13

Need some patio advice.

What's that base made of? Have you dug down to investigate?

If at all possible, you want to control water using surface drainage, and avoid pipework. The potential for clogging is greatly reduced, and the capacity is greatly increased. In other words, if you can get the water to go where you want using grade and slope alone . . . than try and go that route.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #14

Need some patio advice.

about 2-3 inches of sand and then just dirt. no pebbles or stone.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #15

Need some patio advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocoop View Post
about 2-3 inches of sand and then just dirt. no pebbles or stone.
In my opinion it would be pretty foolish to re-set pavers on that base and expect it to hold up long term. It should have a properly prepared compacted base, which will require quite a bit of excavation, materials, and labor. There is no shortage of tutorials with pictures online about preparing a patio base; but essentially you should be shooting for 4-6" of compacted base material plus a 1" bedding course of sand.

Advertisement