Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Need solutions to keep water away from foundation

Ive been putting this project off till it has gotten cooler outside, but it needs to get done. I have 4 down spouts with splash blocks and a sump pump sticking about 3 ft from our house.

We have a high water table where I live at. The sump pump will randomly kick on during a dry summer day. I thought about using pop up emitters for the sump pump and down spouts, but I'm not sure if the down spouts would have enough water pressure to activate a pop up.

Just looking for some solutions for my problem. Thanks

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

This is a very common problem, that has been asked dozens of times on this forum over the past few years. You may want to do a search for high water table, you will see many threads discussing the problem.

All the solutions have a few things in common. First, surface water like roof runoff needs to be directed farm from your house. This is usually done by grading downhill away from your house. You did not discuss grading, so it is impossible to tell if you have a grading problem, but if you do, solve that first.

Second, if you have a naturally high groundwater table, you have a much more complicated problem. Your sump pump needs to discharge well away from the house, hopefully into the storm sewer (if you have storm sewers), into a ditch, or into a lake or pond that is lower than your water table. If this is impossible, you are not going to get much use out of your sump pump, since you will effectively be recycling your water.

You really need to start by doing an accurate topographic map of your area, so you can determine where you can discharge water that is lower than your groundwater table. You can do the survey using a level, which you can rent at a Rentall store if you don't have one.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This is a very common problem, that has been asked dozens of times on this forum over the past few years. You may want to do a search for high water table, you will see many threads discussing the problem.

All the solutions have a few things in common. First, surface water like roof runoff needs to be directed farm from your house. This is usually done by grading downhill away from your house. You did not discuss grading, so it is impossible to tell if you have a grading problem, but if you do, solve that first.

Second, if you have a naturally high groundwater table, you have a much more complicated problem. Your sump pump needs to discharge well away from the house, hopefully into the storm sewer (if you have storm sewers), into a ditch, or into a lake or pond that is lower than your water table. If this is impossible, you are not going to get much use out of your sump pump, since you will effectively be recycling your water.

You really need to start by doing an accurate topographic map of your area, so you can determine where you can discharge water that is lower than your groundwater table. You can do the survey using a level, which you can rent at a Rentall store if you don't have one.
Thanks for the helpful reply. The runoff water from the down spouts are only a couple feet away from the foundation. I only have a splash guard located under the down spouts.

The grading around the house is mostly down hill. I have noticed that there is 1/2" gap between where the foundation and soil meet. Im guessing this is from rain water hitting the house?

I thought about pumping out to the street, but I dont want to piss off my neighbor with all my water.
word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote