Need Help With Weed Control - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
wood hobbyist

Rewards Points: 25

Need help with weed control

Can someone please tell me what the weeds are in these two photos I posted. First two photos are the same weed. When you pull it out by hand it breaks and produces a milky sticky juice from the stem. I have these all over the yard. The second I'm sure is a grass family but other than digging or hand pulling is the only way to remove them. Both of them come back hardy every year. Now before you post back, I have tried the Bayer weed control no help, and Round-up will kill it but also the berumda grass. I live in the Midsouth (West Tennessee). I don't have a yard company because they don't do a good enough job and too expensive. So all you DIY'ers out there how about some help with a pellet type or a spray to get ride of these weeds fro me. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with weed control-july-2011-044.jpg   Need help with weed control-july-2011-052.jpg   Need help with weed control-july-2011-050.jpg  

Advertisement

weberus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

The second is crab grass. I have the first one, I have too, but Ortho kills it.

Advertisement

Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Lowes and Home Depot sell a spray that you attach to a hose. by Ortho that works well. I use the spray on one and just walk around and spray by hand. If you want to try a fertilizer with weed kill, Scott's works well.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
wood hobbyist

Breakthecycle2,
So the Ortho is ok on Bermuda it will not kill it or turn it yellow? I have used the Scott's in the spring before and it did work well. I will get back on it in the fall and the spring.

Last edited by weberus3; 07-18-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberus3 View Post
Breakthecycle2,
So the Ortho is ok on Bermuda it will not kill it or turn it yellow? I have used the Scott's in the spring before and it did work well. I will get back on it in the fall and the spring.
I have used it and it hasnt done anything outside of this drought we have.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
wood hobbyist

Ok I've done some more research and found the first is called Prostrate Spurge, should be called Prostate pain. If you have had the procedure and got this weed you'll know what I mean. The best control is a preermergent in the late winter or early spring or spraying a 2-4-D spray. Ok they don't make 2-4-D any more or MSMA that had it in it!
Of course the second is Crabgrass. Again a preermergent or pulling by hand. My legs didn't enjoy doing this. So any other ideas out there.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
wood hobbyist

Ok after posting this question to the site I have found the fix to both of these weed control. The first, Prostrate Spurge, or milk weed seems to die using MSMA. Of course the crabgrass dies fro the MSMA. So if we can get the goverment away from controlling so much stuff in our lives, we could get this back on the shelves for the homeowners to use.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberus3 View Post
Can someone please tell me what the weeds are in these two photos I posted. First two photos are the same weed. When you pull it out by hand it breaks and produces a milky sticky juice from the stem. I have these all over the yard. The second I'm sure is a grass family but other than digging or hand pulling is the only way to remove them. Both of them come back hardy every year. Now before you post back, I have tried the Bayer weed control no help, and Round-up will kill it but also the berumda grass. I live in the Midsouth (West Tennessee). I don't have a yard company because they don't do a good enough job and too expensive. So all you DIY'ers out there how about some help with a pellet type or a spray to get ride of these weeds fro me. Thanks in advance.
The first weed is Purslane. Very common, very fast-growing, and very hard to control.

Spray it with 2,4-D. It doesn't matter what brand you're talking, because the original patent on 2,4-D has long since expired, and everybody makes it now. Just look on the "Ingredients" table on any bottle of herbicide to make sure it has 2,4-D.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote