Need Help Safely Cutting Tree - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need help safely cutting tree

Had a large (30 ft) oak tree fall over that is still attached via the root ball. The tree landed on two large branches approx 8 inch in diameter that is holding it in the air. ( A and B in the attached photo). I am trying to figure out the safest way to get the tree on the ground. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Towerdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Cutting with a chain saw would be extremely dangerous due to the stress on the tree. My suggestion would be to wrap a chain or strong rope around the branches that are supporting the tree, then pull sideways with a four wheel drive truck. The tree should come down. Make sure you are well away from the tree during the pulling exercise.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

No truck, no chain, no chain saw? Then hire a tree company to play it safe.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

First, plan your escape route.

For normal tree felling you make the trunk notch cut and then the back cut slightly above it so you form a hinge that steers the tree into the desired fall direction.

You can do the same thing here but have the tree fall to one side or the other, but first fasten a comealong cable as high up in the tree as possible. Of course, your saw blade will not be horizontal.

This config. does not strictly qualify as a widowmaker since the number of directions it can fall are limited, even without a comealong.

And if you use a large bowsaw you won't be wearing hearing protection and so you can also listen for cracking noises. Be vigilant.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #5

It's hard to answer without a picture, but I think that cutting it as close to the root ball will allow it to fall over...and allow you to get out of the way.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,184

Before attempting to cut it, I would try Daniel's suggestion; it has worked well for me several times. You have to consider that the branches holding it up are sprung to some degree, and just how much is anyone's guess at this point, so you may find yourself uncomfortably surprised at which way the tree wants to go once you start changing the phsical attributes with a chain saw. Until it is on the ground, the more distance that you can maintain between it and you, the better off you will most likely be.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Ditto Dexter's point. The trunk of that tree may be under considerable stress from the combination of gravity and the branches holding it up. People get killed every year when they cut down trees that spring upwards at the butt. I consider that condition to be very dangerous, and I would NEVER cut through the butt of the tree under the conditions you describe, regardless of how many comealongs I had attached. If you lack a truck with a chain or rope, you may consider sawing through the branches holding up the tree provided you use a very long pruning saw, so you are nowhere near the branch when you cut. In this case, the concern would be getting the saw stuck in the limb during the cut, but at least you won't be too close.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Rent a pole-chain saw....you can stay away from the tree and still make the cuts....but I tend to agree with joecaption......why risk it if it's not something you are familiar with?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, I have a truck, chain, saw, pole saw, I will try Daniels post. Just didn't think I would be able to pull much due to the size of the tree. I will give it a shot.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerdog2 View Post
large (30 ft) oak tree
??? 30' is a sapling! Just drag it over level and chop it up!

DM
Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

DM
Remeber that a 30' tree to a homeowner may as well be a giant redwood, but down here we call it a branch.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Remeber that a 30' tree to a homeowner may as well be a giant redwood, but down here we call it a branch.
Quite true....

DM
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #13

There is yet another way to bring this tree down, by only cutting roots.

Assume the root ball is a roller restrained from rolling by the remaining roots.
Wrap a cable one or two turns around the trunk and exert a steady pull (let's say northward) with a comealong while you cut one root at a time on the south side of the ball. With each cut take up the comealong a notch.
At some point the torque exerted on the root ball by the weight of the trunk pivoting on the two branches will exceed the tensile strength of the remaining roots and the ball will roll away from the newly cut roots, southward.

There'll be much less force on the comealong cable if it's anchored at a branch where it intersects the trunk.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

DM
I say 30' because I hate to be the guy that exaggerates! Its probably closer to 50-60'. I will have to get a picture for you. I hate losing these trees, its the main reason I bought this property. I am also in the medical field and have seen a ton of idiots cut themselves up with a saw. Normally when we arrive they are pinned under the tree.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerdog2 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have a truck, chain, saw, pole saw, I will try Daniels post. Just didn't think I would be able to pull much due to the size of the tree. I will give it a shot.
hey towerdog...my son and I pulled down 60-70 ft silver maple that was hit by lighting and fell the same way...he has 4x4 dodge ram...I have chevy silverado 4x4...guess who pulled the most... oh by the way we got it to the ground so we could cut it up..

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote