Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Need help re-sodding my lawn

At the beginning of the warmer season this year my GF and I decided we wanted to tear up our small backyard (210 sq ft) and replace it with patio pavers and a small flower bed. After having a few landscapers not call back, a few flake out and 1 giving us a quote of $4500 (which is a bit high for us) we decided to look into DIY. After doing some research and looking on here, we came to the conclusion that it might be a little too over our heads right now. The biggest thing is pitching correctly. So now we are looking into re-sodding it so we can actually use it this summer.

Right now the "lawn" is moss and weeds with a few random plants. Along the big boulder we have is a "flower bed" that is mostly ivy and some poison ivy with a few small trees. I weed whacked the flower bed so most of what you see in the picture is gone now...though some is starting to grow back.

What is my best plan of action for this project? I want to sod the lawn (removing the stones to the left under the hose and sod that too) and where the ivy is growing I want to do a flower bed. I assume I will need to spray Round Up to kill everything, till it to loosen the soil and remove debris and then lay the sod. Should I be doing anything else...put top soil down, fertilizer, lime?

Can I keep the slope that it is now? This is the problem we have with patio pavers. It does slope towards the condo but the small concrete slab we have slopes away from the condo. However we really don't get that much water because of the tree coverage and the small area.

Also, it does get some sun but not much. What sod should I use?

TIA

h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
What is my best plan of action for this project?
...I assume I will need to spray Round Up to kill everything, till it to loosen the soil and remove debris (and supplement/fertilize) and then lay the sod.
Or seed.

Also, it does get some sun but not much.
The lack of sun is the biggest problem and is largely un-fixable.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

Honestly for shady, wet, and low maintenance areas, I would just let moss grow (they also have seeds to plant moss)

That's what I have on the side of my house. Always moist, shaded, and just grows like a carpet. Best part is it takes care of drainage nicely on the slope, doesn't wash out, no mowing, soft on the feet, easily repairs itself, and doesn't catch diseases easily.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

The water does drain well already so I'm not too worried about that. I would prefer grass as this is my own lawn area and want it to look nice. It is small enough were it won't take long to water or now so maintenance instead an issue either. Honestly at this point I just want to put sod down to be able to use the area for a table. If I have to replace some of the dead sod each year so be it.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #5

what i would reccomend being a proffessional landscaper myself is getting a sod cutter then laying down for the area beside ur bbq some stone dust then flag stone with some trim then for the other area use what we refer to as 3 in 1 mix for areas that are hard to grow grass in that way it will take to the soil better but if u have any further questions about it i will be happy to help in any way i can
the lawn doctor is offline   Reply With Quote