Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

need Help Please

Hey guys I am starting this new Project and I don't know what I need to use under the stones that I am laying down... In the Picture below you can see what I am going to do..I hope there is someone out there that has done this before and can tell me what I have to put under the stones and on top of the stones after I get them all down... would Red sand work for under and on top of the stones?

tkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
so-elitecrete

need Help Please

this'd work ?,,, 1st of all, those aren't stones but pre-cast conc pavers,,, you should've rcd a direction sheet showing them to be laid on a compact'd graded aggregate base course then tamp'd w/engine-driven paving tamp,,, for best results, tear out the sidewalk & do it right.

no color sand'll work, especially the red sand,,, continue on & you'll, more'n likely, create tripping hazards which your insurance company'll find distressing.

Last edited by so-elitecrete; 11-28-2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: 1
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #3

need Help Please

I think if I put about a inch of red sand on the bottom and then lay out my stones and then come back witha little more red sand to fill in...I think that would work..I don't want to have to take out the side walk.....There has to be a way to to put those stones down with out takeing up the side walk??
Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #4

need Help Please

You're looking for what many DIYers and homeowners are looking for - a way to make something work that isn't going to be done right. Good luck.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #5

need Help Please

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/diy_ki...717618,00.html

Watch the vid...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #6

need Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkristi View Post
Sponsered by... oh yea - the paver manufacturer!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #7
so-elitecrete

need Help Please

this, they'd think the same's you,,, so kristi, have at it,,, if you can get 5 gal of **** into a 4 gal bucket, you'll be the 1st in the world of either gender,,, we do this for a living - you watch'd a video - guess that makes you more of an x-pert.

there IS a way to do what you want but not the method you suggest,,, only trouble's it's going to cost about $85 sq ft in mtls ALONE,,, no labor, expertise, knowledge, or ins incl,
Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #8

need Help Please

Looks like the sand would do the trick. Good luck, there's alot of people here looking for alternatives to plain ol concrete.

Ignore those other bozos.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #9

need Help Please

If you are just placing the pavers over the concrete. Make sure the concrete is level. If it is, you can use adhesive to adhere the pavers to the concrete, then fill in the gaps with sand. It will work. I have done it. If the sidewalk isn't very big, tear it out and go from there.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #10

need Help Please

tkristi, seems to me this project will work if it's kept simple. The key to laying pavers is to provide a sufficient barrier to prevent horizontal movement. The pavers need to be kept tight to prevent them moving away from each other and creating loose, low spots. The border you have in the picture will not prevent sideways movement. Create a "form" by using either 1X4's or 2 X 4's down the length of the walk and drive stakes outside the forms about every 2-3 feet. (the new walk will obviously have to be a little wider than the old one) Keep the distance between the forms the exact width of your new walk all the way down.

If you can keep your lines straight and any turns 90 degrees you should have no trouble, if there are sweeping lines you must cut the pavers. A curvedinstallation will be much more labor intensive and materials will cost more due to waste.

After your form is complete, fill it it with your sand (you can also use stone dust which is usually ground granite /fine particles giving a slightly stiffer base) about 1/2" above where the bottom of the paver rests. (Other words: if your paver is 2 1/2" thick, your sand line will be 2" from the top of the form board) Place your pavers tightly against each other, for the entire walk. Next place about 1/8" sand on top of your pavers and tamp them in to lock them together. You can rent a plate tamper (best) or you can hand tamp them (lot of work) Sweep the sand into the cracks between the pavers and hose the surface down to get the sand deeper into the crevaces. You may take the forms off and pour concrete curbs, or fill with dirt and tamp or you can leave the forms in place if you wish. If you think ahead a little you can plan your forms so that they will rest about 3/4 -1" below the top of the paver and when yoiu backfill the forms will go away all together.

Hope this helps you get the project done to your satisfaction without spending too much! How bout sending pictures when you get it done!
lightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Landscape contractor

need Help Please

I've done this many times to save customers money on not having to rip out old walks. Make sure the walk is fairly level, if not, use a little leveling cement to get it level. Then use a good paver or concrete block adhesive to set your pavers. Make sure your border is good and tight, then if you have it available, sweep in a polymer sand. This is a special kind of sand that has a bonding agent in it, it will locktight all the bricks together. Sweep some in and then water it in, then do this several more times. You may have to check it every spring but it's worked well for us and we even have a lot of freezing and thawing here in n. indiana. You should be able to find the polymer sand at a home center or a brick and stone supplier. Good luck you gotta a great start! P.S. Don't be intimidated!
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #12

need Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
I've done this many times to save customers money on not having to rip out old walks. Make sure the walk is fairly level, if not, use a little leveling cement to get it level. Then use a good paver or concrete block adhesive to set your pavers. Make sure your border is good and tight, then if you have it available, sweep in a polymer sand. This is a special kind of sand that has a bonding agent in it, it will locktight all the bricks together. Sweep some in and then water it in, then do this several more times. You may have to check it every spring but it's worked well for us and we even have a lot of freezing and thawing here in n. indiana. You should be able to find the polymer sand at a home center or a brick and stone supplier. Good luck you gotta a great start! P.S. Don't be intimidated!
No matter how well this method works for you thus far, as soon as any quantity of water gets between the concrete and the pavers, and freezes, the project will be in ruins.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
so-elitecrete

need Help Please

they all know more'n we do !

got a pm from jeekinz ( sp ) chastizing me for not being kinder & gentler ( my words, not his, but you get the idea ) in my responses,,, still can't get 5gal into 4gal bkts yet i've been doing this work for years.

think he's a 'feelings' guy,,, donahue, oprah, & that crowd,,, but whatever works for them's fine,,, they're not my customers who wouldn't accept this work done as previously outlined by the amateurs.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
Landscape contractor

need Help Please

The polymer sand does allow for water penetration, if you know you have a few low areas where water can pool simply drill a few drain holes in those areas with a concrete bit. (in the walk under the paver). The other option is to veneer the stone in a mortor base over the concrete, set the stones a little farther apart,add mortor between the stones. Then apply a concrete sealer. It's a little more involved and you should re-seal regularly but I've had good results.
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
so-elitecrete

need Help Please

to me 'cause w/use polymer-mod'd concretes daily,,, mind giving out a brand name or public source ?,,, when we cast countertops, we use liquid polymer & add it to our bagg'd mix which contains dry polymers,,, thinking this might be something we can use.

thanks in adv.