Need Help Landscaping Big Beds - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need help landscaping big beds

Howdy all. My wife and I bought a fixer-upper a few years ago at a fire-sale price and it's honestly more than I know what to do with.

See attached.

The beds are a total-do over, we are gonna chop everything down and remove them with a backhoe. I've penciled in a fence line as well for a wrought iron fence that will wrap the drive way. I should have included a sideways profile down the house so you could see how deep the front bed is. The front one is 20ft most of the way, but 45 ft or so where the tree used to be, the red dot (we had to cut it, it was about to fall on the house).

We are in North-east Ga 30677. Any ideas on types of plants we should plant. Currently its like 3-4 rows of holly and we got up all the juniper already. We intend to take out everything and start over (ok not everything, my wife wants to try to save the plan on each side of the front door entrance.

Any suggestions? Its a lot more space to fill up than the picture lets on.

I'm willing to consider putting in an irrigation system as well if needed.

Advertisement

ronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 624

No picture attached. I would definately plan on installing drip irrigation system and use plants suitable for your area. Make the edges of the bed mower friendly to eliminate the need to weed wack.

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry, file is attached here. Outline in yellow is the bed that is on the chopping block, and potentially the green one as well. You can see our crack visual effects artists (mua) have also visualized the fence line - it and the bed wrap all the way around the drive way.
Attached Thumbnails
need help landscaping big beds-front_beds.jpg  
ronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

that is some castle you have there.... check out this site http://gurneys.com all types of plantings pix i would definitly keep it all at window level maybe rise up on the corners..maybe ring the tree with plantings. also if you watch HGTV check out Curb Appeal/The Block shows down there..they only do the fronts of homes with great planting ideas.might want to go to a private garden center for what actually works in your area with HD/LOWES being too generic with what they sell

Last edited by biggles; 06-23-2012 at 07:42 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Even if you plan on DIY'ing the project, you should find a landscape designer in your area to help you with a plan. This is a good resource for starting: Association of Professional Landscape Designers
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GardenConcepts For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-23-2012)