Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with a flagstone walkway

I want to build a flagstone walkway with stones I salvaged from last year's summer project. These stones came from a retaining wall and they are different thicknesses. Is it possible to split these stones so that they are all approximately 2 inches thick? Thanks!

Waleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #2

it all depends on the stone I would recommend placing each stone one at a time and varing the depth to make the surface level, its much more time consuming but may be easier in the long run than trying to split the stone good luck

rocklyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Waleye,
It's much easier to just place them and play with the depths so they are somewhat level. I think if you tried to change the thickness you would have broken ones more than you would crack them more than anything. I've done a fair bit of work with quartzite stone, and I know we tried to make them all the same thickness and just ended up breaking 9 of the 10 we tried.
McGaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Crabby Bastard

if the are big and HEAVY it may actually be easier to split them than to try to adjust the ground underneath. if you are good with chisels and they are thick stones it's not too bad, but it's work that pretty must needs to be done by hand and it takes a little old school know-how and experiance
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
so-elitecrete

& mcGaw're righter's the other 1 but all're correct,,, your stone may not be ' spllitable ' due to its makeup,,, place a decent granular base to a uniform depth then adjust depending on stone thickness,,, may have to adjust base for a couple of yrs, tho.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote