Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

Need help deciding what to do with this:

http://www.picturehosting.com/galler...ce-to-basement
I have pictures of this in the above link.
We added a room to our house. It has a basement with an entrance door... (the door in the picture is temporary) The idea is to finish it and tie it in with the swimming pool... Since we cannot afford to hire someone to do this we have to do it ourselves...
We need a walkway to the pool, but we need help with design and how to go about it... It has a V shape and it slopes in both sides toward the center of the walkway..
I think we need some sort of retaining wall...We would appreciate any help you can provide us... Some ideas on retaining wall stepback or slope from top to bottom., etc...
A suggestion about software where I could input the picture and try different ideas... would also be helpful...

beacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #2

My first concern is drainage of water. I hope you have lots of drain pipes to move water away from the door and the soon to be installed walk way.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #3

Also, I hope you have a plan that you get can on immediately. A little rain can cause you to have major problems given how the grade now is essentially channeling water directly into your basement door.

The areaway outside the door appears lower than the pool/patio edge. Usually, that means there should be a drain right in front of the door that is connected to your drain tile around your house and thus the sump pump in your basement.

Looks too late to do that now, especially by yourself.

The pictures you took were very grainy and angled. It's hard to get a clear visual.

But, what I would do is build block retaining walls on both sides of the door to have a large area way and have the grade on each side of the top of the retaining walls slope away from the the basement door. You could even build a tiered retaining wall to allow you to install plants to beautify the area.

With the areaway in front of the basement, I would probably level it but dig a ditch around the perimeter to lay down corrugated piping. You could probably install brick pavers on the area way itself, but the perimeter would be gravel under (or poured concrete) and over top of the corrugated piping. One corner, would probably house an external sump pit and pump.

As you approach the pool, I would probably have steps going up to the pool, since it appears that the patio height is above the basement door area way.

In fact, if I were you, I'd run out and buy that pump right now, just in case it rains.

Last edited by handy man88; 10-13-2008 at 09:25 AM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #4

http://www.picturehosting.com/galler...ce-to-basement
Thank you for all the suggestions... I have a lot of drain pipes,etc...
Do you have any suggestions where I can go for help with the design... I would like to look at pictures of projects people have done...
My husband is a skilled person, so I really think we need help with the design than the how to build it.
THANK YOU
beacu is offline   Reply With Quote