DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need ground cover for NW facing bank (zone 5)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GardenConcepts 
#1 ·
I have a somewhat steep bank (maybe 60 deg) that currently has grass and assorted weeds growing on it. I trim it with my grass mowing and it looks fine. However, I'd rather it look a little better than fine and I would rather it was less maintenance. I'm in PA so zone 5. Since it faces NW, I'm not sure it gets the full sun that most groundcovers seem to require. I'd also prefer it to be able to handle light foot traffic as I sometimes traverse the bank so nothing that is too terribly delicate or grows too high.

My neighbor with the same kind of bank has a patchwork of creeping juniper that looks like crap, probably because he doesn't weed it at all.

Recommendations that I've gotten so far:

- creeping juniper...
- wintercreeper
- cotoneaster

Anyone have any recommendations or comments? I'm not sure if this is more of a gardening question but I figured I'd give you guys a try.

#2 ·
need ground cover for NW facing bank (zone 5)

Hey Minjin. Ken here with The Home Depot in the Chicago area.
I checked through all my sources and found a couple for you. The
first is Vinca minor (dwarf periwinkle). It takes part shade or full shade
and needs little to moderate water. It reaches a height of only 4-6 inches.
The flowers come in white, dark purple, and blue. It can handle occasional
foot traffic.
If this ground cover needs to be walked on semi-regularly, try Chamaemelum
nobile (chamomile). This is the perennial, not the annual herb. It can take partial
shade and moderate water. If your slope is in open shade, this plant might work.
I hope this helps. Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.