Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Share |

Need All Three -- Weed, Seed, Feed

I need some help.

It is now mid February in the Boston Mass. area and today is an unusually cold day. Most of the winter has been well above freezing during the day.

The lawn was in bad shape last year, some areas had almost no grass and also literally covered with weeds and also crabgrass. On those areas that had half decent grass it was not lush; when I came to this property, the lawn had not been fertilized for years.

So I need to do all three in springtime: weed, seed, and feed.

Which do I do first and when? Let's say for the sake of argument that the weeds are of three kinds: (1) crabgrass, (2) moss, and (3) the kinds that are killed by granular weed killer powder applied with a fertilizer spreader and then watered in.

(I do know that if I put down pre-emergent crabgrass killer first then new grass seed won't sprout either.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

http://www.scotts.com/smg/common/tem...ageId=19300170

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to nathan.hawk Send a message via Skype™ to nathan.hawk

Thanks for the link. This helps me out as well, as I look to improve the grass at home and hoopefully reduce the weeds in the area.
nathan.hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I got lost in there. Not ready to click the Thanks button for you yet.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I need some help.

It is now mid February in the Boston Mass. area and today is an unusually cold day. Most of the winter has been well above freezing during the day.

The lawn was in bad shape last year, some areas had almost no grass and also literally covered with weeds and also crabgrass. On those areas that had half decent grass it was not lush; when I came to this property, the lawn had not been fertilized for years.

So I need to do all three in springtime: weed, seed, and feed.

Which do I do first and when? Let's say for the sake of argument that the weeds are of three kinds: (1) crabgrass, (2) moss, and (3) the kinds that are killed by granular weed killer powder applied with a fertilizer spreader and then watered in.

(I do know that if I put down pre-emergent crabgrass killer first then new grass seed won't sprout either.)
I think you need to decide just how aggressively and expensively you want to pursue this. If you're willing to spend some bucks, a professional fertilizer/herbicide company like TrueGreen might be the way to go. If this is completely DIY, I'd suggest several things...

You can fertilize any time. At this point in the year, rain and/or snow will dissolve the fertilizer and soak it into the ground. This is good.

Don't bother with weed killer yet. The weeds are dormant. Beginning in the spring, your most effective non-grass weed killer will be anything with 2-4d in it. I'd suggest concentrate that you can mix and spray with a Hudson-type pump sprayer. Keep in mind that that spray mix will kill flowers, so don't get any near them!

For growing grass, there's little that beats the good old fashioned method. Loosen the soil, get the seed sown and work it in about 1/4" deep, then water it twice per day until it germinates, then once per day after that.

You're NOT going to have a fantastic lawn the first year. But it will be better than last year. Think of this as a 5-year project. Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
AllanJ (02-14-2012)