Need Advice On Un-landscaped Backyard With Weeds - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Advice on un-landscaped backyard with weeds

Hi All,

I have a new home that was not landscaped in the backyard. Every year, it gets FULL of weeds. I don't know the names, but they all have thorns, stickers, pricklies on them. I clear the entire yard every year and this year I want to remvoe them again, but also fix the soil and maybe lay down some grass or atleast keep the weeds at bay. The yard is huge in back. I'd say about 60-70 feet across and 30-40 feet from the house to the back fence (closest to furthest poiint).

I've started pulling by hand this past 3 weeks due to rain which makes this much easier, but it's already drying and the weeds are very hard to pull out. My dirt goes from VERY soft when wet to hard as cement when dry. So I was thining of just mowing everything as close as I can, then comming back with a hulahoe or regular hoe and cutting down everything to the nub so to speak. Afterwards, I thought maybe mix in some compost ( I can get sheaply from a local nursery) or something to get the soil in better condition, and then till the dirt and compost together.

I really don't know how I want hte yard layed out, so I might just leave it, or put grass al over... not sure since we keep changing our minds on what we want back there *patio, cement, etc.).

I'm hoping to get some advice on what i can do. Good idea to mow the weeds? If so, how can i keep them from coming back? If I use a weedkiller (roundup, or something) would I not be able to put grass soon? I have what some refer to has hardpan for dirt... any ideas on how to get it in a good state. Also, I need to to this on the less expensive side as i don't have much $$.

Thanks in advance for any help!
mario

Advertisement

mgarcia512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

See if your State or County has a Agricultural Co-op office.

Often they have a kit with directions on collecting soil samples for free or near free.

They will give you back results such as soil PH, Silt/Clay/Sand composition etc. Often they have a brochure on the types of amendments you can add to your soil.

Once you have that in hand you'll be one step closer.

Round-up has directions on the back that specify how long before you can plant and I think they are pretty reasonable (maybe 96 hours or something)

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

having your Location in your profile will help us know what Region you're in.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I'll see about the free testing, I did not know about that. As for my region, Im in the central valley in Fresno CA. Pofile updated.

TY
mgarcia512 is offline   Reply With Quote