Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

Need advice from someone who knows lawns

Hi All. Hope I can get some help . Last late summer I found out that my lawn had been invaded by grubs. Tried nematodes, chemicals, but it was too late. Also have a moss problem which is getting worse. I was going to try these products but I need info on how to proceed. Scotts turf builder w/ crabgrass preventer, Scotts grub-ex, & Scotts moss control. Is this a good strategy and is there a time frame or sequence for using these products???

Bob V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

Depending upon where you are, moss is a part of life. I can't recommend a product as I don't have moss issue.

Bayer (I've found it at Lowe's) makes 2 products (blue bag) that kill grubs immediately and one that prevents them long term. The active chemical is Merit and it stopped my grub problem completely. You can use the killer at any time and the preventer goes down in July/August. I tried Grub Ex once and it didn't do diddly. I was so disappointed, I asked Scotts for a refund.

It's getting time for crabgrass preventer. I normally buy 2 applications of the crabgrass preventer. I put one application down in the spring and the 2nd, early summer. My thought process is that if the preventer works, I don't need the weed and feed as there are no weeds to kill. The 2nd application of preventer keeps any late sprouting crabgrass from growing.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Oooh, I have lots of lawn moss!

Use moss-out. Hose-end sprayer. The granules didn't work well for me last year.

Follow the instructions closely. If you try to stretch the bottle to more square footage than it recommends, you'll get poor results. Too much doesn't really cause a problem. matter of fact, it will help green your lawn up.

After the moss-out, the moss will turn black within an hour (usually happens within 10 minutes). You can either leave it and allow it to decay into the soil, or lightly rake it out with a leaf rake.

Moss grows in wet, shady areas and prefers acidic soil. Grass likes sunlight and slightly-acid soil (between 6.0 - 7.0). Prune nearby trees and shrubs, to allow more sunlight and airflow through. Test your soil ph, and if it's lower than 6.0, apply lime to increase the PH (more-basic). I use Lily Miller's "Super Sweet", since it breaks down rather quickly. Read the bag, to help determine how much to apply.

Finally, overseed the area with a turf seed recommended for your area.

Here's some more information http://www.aerating-thatching.com/lawn-moss

Last edited by Seattle2k; 04-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
Hi All. Hope I can get some help . Last late summer I found out that my lawn had been invaded by grubs. Tried nematodes, chemicals, but it was too late. Also have a moss problem which is getting worse. I was going to try these products but I need info on how to proceed. Scotts turf builder w/ crabgrass preventer, Scotts grub-ex, & Scotts moss control. Is this a good strategy and is there a time frame or sequence for using these products???

Nobody can really help if we don't know where you are.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote