Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

native grass (re)invading vs. mondo grass

Hi. This may be a dumb question. But I planted about 100 mondo grasses on a slop of my yard last spring. basically dug out some very thin, cruddy native grass. replaced with nice soil over a weed tarp cut little holes for mondo and planted.

this spring there are some very bright green shoots coming up from the mondo mounds. at first I thought it was new growth, since it doesnt occur between any mounds, only within the mounds. But now I am convinced that the native grass is popping up through the hole in the weed tarp.

photo attached. can anyone tell?

so....am I going to just have to pluck these natives by hand? there isnt a product that would kill the native fescue and spare the mondo is there?

cheers

thb
Attached Thumbnails
native grass (re)invading vs. mondo grass-mondo.jpg  

tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Unfortunately they are both blade grasses so an herbicide that works on one will likely take out the other.

Did you ko the existing grass with RoundUp or something first or just put down the landscape cloth over everything hoping for the best?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #3

we dug the native out. there really wasnt much there. at least nothing this healthy looking
tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote