Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Mystery Weed #2

First 2 pics are some weed or other - I don't know if anyone can tell what this is since it's so new. These are growing here and there in the lawn, but the pic's are from an area where a bush got dug up, where I'm growing new grass. (Fortunately they're pretty easy to pluck up when they're new, but are difficult to see that small when among grass.)

The 3rd pic - I hope this doesn't sound stupid - the only new grass I've ever seen was just a single skinny blade when it was coming up new. While I have some of that, I've also got a bunch of this two-bladed stuff. This is a sun n shade mix, I think mostly bluegrass and fescue. Please tell me this is grass as well. If so, then it's coming up very nicely at this point. Still tiny and patchy, but it's coming up. (I'm so happy. )
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery Weed #2-mystery-weed-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Erimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Mystery Weed #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimess View Post
First 2 pics are some weed or other - I don't know if anyone can tell what this is since it's so new. These are growing here and there in the lawn, but the pic's are from an area where a bush got dug up, where I'm growing new grass. (Fortunately they're pretty easy to pluck up when they're new, but are difficult to see that small when among grass.)

The 3rd pic - I hope this doesn't sound stupid - the only new grass I've ever seen was just a single skinny blade when it was coming up new. While I have some of that, I've also got a bunch of this two-bladed stuff. This is a sun n shade mix, I think mostly bluegrass and fescue. Please tell me this is grass as well. If so, then it's coming up very nicely at this point. Still tiny and patchy, but it's coming up. (I'm so happy. )
You have one of the rare seeded transplants from the planet zelletas, we have been tracking this plant in various parts of the globe sense 1958, it has been known to hide among other seeds. When it becomes an adult it will mate in the moon light and produce people looking imps known as ferries.
While you sleep they will dance through your dreams and cause you to dream or a plush evergreen lawn that is weedless and never needs to be mowed.
But the truth come in the morning when you look out and see corn stalks
have taken over your lawn planted by squirrels last fall.

Just Saturday funning good luck.
Robut

robut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mystery Weed #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimess View Post

It's hard to tell without a good picture of the first true leaves (the first two green things on the sprout are the cotyledon - they are technically not really leaves - tecnically). The one pic makes it look a little like maple.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Mystery Weed #2

Quote:
You have one of the rare seeded transplants from the planet zelletas, we have been tracking this plant in various parts of the globe sense 1958, it has been known to hide among other seeds. When it becomes an adult it will mate in the moon light and produce people looking imps known as ferries.
Well, I play computer games, which have been known to have a few faeries and druids and whatnot in them. So this really wouldn't come as a big surprise. I moved, but I guess they found me.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

Mystery Weed #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
The one pic makes it look a little like maple.
Maple, as in tree? Could they be oaks? I've gotten little mini oaks growing in my bushes before, and have to just chop off so they grow again cause I can't dig them up where they are. But I don't usually see much of them in the yard. (Maybe they don't survive well when I buzz them with the mower.)

Today I found three of them with a leaf wrapped around a black ball thing, which may be a seed. Tiny bit smaller than a pee, with a shell that peels like the stuff on popcorn that gets caught in your teeth. That could be pure coincidence, but those little black balls are all over near my curb.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Mystery Weed #2

Give it a day or two of warm weather. Let the 'first true leaves' leaf out and take it to your local county extension office. They can help you identify it.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Mystery Weed #2

What happened to the first mystery weed thread? I was really becoming entertained by the posts.
mike-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
the Musigician

Mystery Weed #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-g View Post
What happened to the first mystery weed thread?
It got smoked....errr, I mean DELETED, yeah, that's the word... deleted....

DM