Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

My yard is too tall!!

Hey folks,

I'm starting to prep my yard for a privacy fence (4-5' tall decorative picket). The problem is the actual yard is at least 6-8" too tall. The house is late 1920's I assume over the years the surface has risen via dirt leveling, grass clippings etc. The fence will be around the perimeter set back away from the side walk approx 4' on short side (front) and approx 5' on long.

I plan on taking the surface down by hand around the perimeter so I can set the fence at proper height. Once it's all fenced in then I'll worry about the rest (majority of yard inside fence).

Does anyone see any problem with this? Or have any other suggestions?

I know it will be a ton of work, and I can at least get the perimeter done by hand then possibly hire out rest or rent a bobcat for a weekend.

Also, the lot has a natural grade to street (see pic) I will maintain this, just knock down the height. The area from the fence to the sidewalk (set back) will be ground cover and shrubs, I don't plan on going back with sod.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
My yard is too tall!!-image-3400946090.jpg   My yard is too tall!!-image-513392104.jpg  

no drain blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,564

My yard is too tall!!

looks like the neighbors have the same issue. i would leave it. except for grading away from the house.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

My yard is too tall!!

I agree, why mess with the grading, better to have the grade slope away from the house then to have standing water at the foundation. I would just level approx. 12" deep for fence. Looks like other house have the same grade, always good to drive around neighborhood and see what others have done.
mrwoodty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

My yard is too tall!!

Just took a closer look at the first picture, unusual that the lawn is so much higher than your walkway, yes it looks like grading is needed, but be sure to maintain a slope away from the foundation. And be aware of underground pipes.
mrwoodty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

My yard is too tall!!

It looks to me like that sidewalk was cut into a grade that once sloped all the way to the curb. I can assure you years of yardwork and grass clippings did not cause an overall grade increase of 6-8 inches. And actually yours is much more than that if you were to measure it were it starts up at the house and where it ends at the sidewalk.

I suspect the entry walk and all were poured lower to allow steps to the house to meet code. The yard should have been regraded at that point.

I don't think you are going to fix this by hand. I would make sure you know what grade changes you should and can make, line up a sod cutter and the equipment you need to regrade, and go for it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #6

My yard is too tall!!

Thanks for the input.

The neighbors and others have some of the same issues, but not as bad/dramatic as mine.

I need to make some decisions soon, I plan on prepping for the fence this weekend. I'll start planning for the end grade and work back towards the house, focusing on the perimeter now and finalize the grade after the fence goes up.

Is this something I should consider hiring out?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

My yard is too tall!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no drain blues View Post

I plan on prepping for the fence this weekend. I'll start planning for the end grade and work back towards the house, focusing on the perimeter now and finalize the grade after the fence goes up.

Is this something I should consider hiring out?
imo, that is a$$ backwards. do all of the grading work first. pull up the sod, if you can. have someone with a bobcat come in and grade the yard away from the house. put the sod back. THEN work on the fence. if the yard already is graded away from the house = put the fence up and your done.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #8

My yard is too tall!!

Agreed, it is backwards, but the fence is the higher priority right now...
Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

My yard is too tall!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no drain blues View Post
Agreed, it is backwards, but the fence is the higher priority right now...
well, you gotta do what you gotta do. in that case, leave/make a space in the fence, so that it can be moved. so that a bobcat or whatever can get in.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

My yard is too tall!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
well, you gotta do what you gotta do. in that case, leave/make a space in the fence, so that it can be moved. so that a bobcat or whatever can get in.
Exactly making a space would definitely help you!
eliciasam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

My yard is too tall!!

Making space in the fence will give proper look to your yard.

henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote