My Tree Isn't Looking So Good. Pics Inside - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My tree isn't looking so good. Pics inside

I'm in northern Illinois. This tree has looked fine every year until this year. We've had plenty of rain and sunny warm weather. I did fertilize the lawn with weed & feed this year, but I did the correct amount and not really near the tree.

Also there is a thin layer of mulch around the base of the tree, which I've now read isn't the best thing for trees. But the mulch was put down last year and the year before and the tree looked fine then. I have not added any more mulch around the tree since last spring, (12 months ago)

The limbs are bare from the bottom up. The top of the tree still looks ok, but the bottom half of the tree is looking mighty bad. Looks like its dying from the bottom up. It also looks like it has eleventy-billion branches, which doesn't look right.

any ideas???

Advertisement

Eds_tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 776

That's a shame. It was a beautiful tree. I guess you've already inspected it for insects. There are several diseases that can affect evergreens. Some of the diseases start at the lower branches as yours has done. Did this happen to any other evergreens in your neighborhood? I think these diseases just happen and it's nothing that you did or didn't do.

Do you have a county extension agency who would have a master gardener you could call? Or just call a tree service in your area.

The number of branches is normal I think. They just aren't noticeable when the needles are covering the branches.

Advertisement

Last edited by Startingover; 06-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

I've had a dwarf pine or spruce do just the opposite, the TOP died like that.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Hard to tell from here. Call a reputable tree service ( Bartlett for one). It will not cost you anything to find out what is wrong and maybe save existing healthy ones.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote