Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Share |

My Murray mower

I am trying to use my Murray riding mower one more time befor eputting awayfor the year to clena up the leaves. I am having a problem starting the machine, it turns over but doe snot start. Here's what I have done so far.

1) Took out plugs and cleaned with a rag.

2) Siphoned out gas, and added new.

3) Took carberator off and cleaned.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can do to get this mower started?

It is cranking, but doesn't turn over?

Ttd0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

You have to go through a process of elimination. Either it isn't getting gas, or isn't getting spark. Maybe both.

To see if it's not getting gas, spray some starting fluid in the carb as you're turning it over. If it starts temporarily, then dies, you have a gas delivery problem. If it does not start, with the use of starting fluid, you've got an electrical problem.

If you're really brave, and do it right, you can remove the plug & short it against the head of the engine, crank the engine over, and see if there's any spark.

If there's no spark, the first thing I'd do is replace the plug. That's probably not your problem, but plugs do fail sometimes.

Without knowing more about your make & model of engine, it's hard to say what else might be the problem

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #3

My Murray mower

Hi Dr. HIcks,

I tried spraying carb/cleaner, starting fluid in the carb, and it does start for just a few seconds, and dies out.

So it sounds like from what you're saying it's a fuel delivery problem. I guess my next step would be to change the fuel filter, becasue of the bad gas, it may have gotten clogged. Do you agree?

My next step after that would be to change the plugs, what do you think?

Thanks for you help!

Trish
Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

My Murray mower

Could you advise me on how to short the plug on the engine head? This should at least tell me if I have to buy new plugs or not?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttd0715 View Post
Hi Dr. HIcks,

I tried spraying carb/cleaner, starting fluid in the carb, and it does start for just a few seconds, and dies out.

So it sounds like from what you're saying it's a fuel delivery problem. I guess my next step would be to change the fuel filter, becasue of the bad gas, it may have gotten clogged. Do you agree?

My next step after that would be to change the plugs, what do you think?

Thanks for you help!

Trish
When you drop the carb bowl, does gas run out freely? If there's no gas in there, you've either got a plugged filter, or your needle valve isn't opening.

More than likely, your orifice/jet is plugged.

Again, without knowing the make or model of the engine this is just a guess, but... Most likely the main orifice/jet it as the bottom of the carb, where the bowl is screwed on. It's highly likely that that orifice/jet is plugged. It doesn't take much to plug it - just a part of a blade of grass, maybe - but it can usually be cleaned with spray carb cleaner.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #6

My Murray mower

No, gas did not run out at all, in fact, there were no fluids in there at all when I turned it over. So you're telling me the fuel filter is clogged, am I correct?

As far as the orifice/jet, I don't know where that is?

The model # 42572x8A, with a Briggs and Stratton 20 hp engine model # 460700.

Last edited by Ttd0715; 11-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

Quote:
No, gas did not run out at all, in fact, there were no fluids in there at all when I turned it over. So you're telling me the fuel filter is clogged, am I correct?

As far as the orifice/jet, I don't know where that is?

The model # 42572x8A, with a Briggs and Stratton 20 hp engine model # 460700.
Remove the fuel line from the carb. Do you have gas there? If not, remove the fuel line from the "tank side" of the filter. Do you have fuel there?

Basically it's a process of elimination. And again, without knowing more about the mower, I'm just taking educated guesses. Is there a fuel shut-off? Is there a kink in the fuel line?

I think you're headed in the right direction. Keep investigating, and I'll look into the mower info you gave me.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

Wow - I'm not finding much good information out about this mower.

What I'm seeing is that the gas tank is above and behind the engine, which indicates that a gas line should run directly from the tank to the carb. This is good news, as it means there's no fuel pump involved. Beyond that, I cannot tell where the fuel filter is and/or if there is a shut-off valve.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #9

My Murray mower

HI Dr. Hicks,

Well...with a little more investigating I have taken off the fuel filter, and I have found a pine needle sprig in the hole of the filter. I do not have a new filter right now, but I'm curious to know if this could have been the whole problem?

I have washed out the fuel filter the best I could so far, do you suggest I put it back on to see if it starts now?

Thanks! Trish
p.s. To the best of my knowledge, there is no fuel shutoff valve.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

Quote:
HI Dr. Hicks,

Well...with a little more investigating I have taken off the fuel filter, and I have found a pine needle sprig in the hole of the filter. I do not have a new filter right now, but I'm curious to know if this could have been the whole problem?

I have washed out the fuel filter the best I could so far, do you suggest I put it back on to see if it starts now?

Thanks! Trish
p.s. To the best of my knowledge, there is no fuel shutoff valve.
First, do you have gas TO the in-line filter? If yes, then the filter is most likely the problem.

Second, thoroughly wipe the "inlet" end of the filter and see if you can blow through it. If you can, the sprig was probably your culprit.

When you re-install the filter, make sure you have the direction right. Hopefully that filter problem is your issue.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #11

My Murray mower

Yes, there is gas coming into the filter, but now that I have taken off the filter, I am looking at both ends and they both look the same?

How do I know which is the end that goes to the fuel tank side?

p.s. If I had to guess...I would say it's the side that has the dirt in it, goes
on the tank side??

Last edited by Ttd0715; 11-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

Quote:
Yes, there is gas coming into the filter, but now that I have taken off the filter, I am looking at both ends and they both look the same?

How do I know which is the end that goes to the fuel tank side?

p.s. If I had to guess...I would say it's the side that has the dirt in it, goes
on the tank side??
Usually there is an arrow. If there isn't an arrow, I don't know how you'd know which end is which, unless you remember from taking it off.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Ttd0715 (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #13

My Murray mower

Thanks! I will check the manual to see if I can find the answer.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #14

My Murray mower

Hi Dr. Hicks,

I put the fuel filter back on and tried starting it to no avail. I then sprayed starting fluid in the carb and gave it another try, no luck.

ok, no what??

You're the best!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

My Murray mower

Quote:
Hi Dr. Hicks,

I put the fuel filter back on and tried starting it to no avail. I then sprayed starting fluid in the carb and gave it another try, no luck.

ok, no what??

You're the best!
Thanks, but I'm not the best. This is a guessing game...

So... Do you have fuel to the carb? If not, I suppose it's possible that you have the filter on backwards. You could loosen the nut on the bottom of the carb bowl and see if gas leaks out of it.

Beyond that, boy... If it DID start when you sprayed in starting fluid, and now it doesn't, you might have flooded it. Perhaps remove the spark plug & see if it's wet? If it is, dry it off. If you want to be thorough, use a lighter and burn everything off the bottom of the spark plug - just make sure you're out of the garage and away from any gas when you do that!