Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Share |

My lawn died :( ...Pics, Please Help!

Please look at my backyard... is there anything that can be done to save it from these awful weeds that took over? (The light yellow color is weeds, the dark green color is what's left of my lawn)

Not sure what to do as a new homeowner (first time with a lawn)

Please help identify weed type and find resolution.

Thanks for reading!

cbarr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Banned Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarr81 View Post
Please look at my backyard... is there anything that can be done to save it from these awful weeds that took over? (The light yellow color is weeds, the dark green color is what's left of my lawn)

Not sure what to do as a new homeowner (first time with a lawn)

Please help identify weed type and find resolution.

Thanks for reading!
Use a good fertilizer with weed control and use the proper spreader to do it.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
JOATMON

Those are not weeds....those are just plants in the wrong place.

Like Harry said....use a broad leaf weed killer in Fertilizer.....I've had good results with the Scott's stuff.....

Just be careful with how you spread it....too much does more damage than not enough....better to do a couple of light spreads a few weeks apart.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. Should I put down new grass seed with the weed killing fertilizer? How will the grass come back when weeds die? Wouldn't weed killer destroy grass too?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you want to try, first thing you should do is feed it to see what you really have. Given you know you have a broadleaf weed problem a fertilizer product with a post-emergent broadleaf herbicide would be a good idea. Nothing against Scotts but its cost and in this instance, if I were you, I would get a more generic weed n feed product to start at Ace, Do-it-Best, Walgreen's, KMart or such places for $10 a sack instead of $30. The picture on the sack may not be as pretty but I will give you my PayPal information. Just send me $50 and I will send you a pretty lawn picture.

I am not optimistic in this instance. It looks like if the weed killer works there is just not enough there to fill in? You have so much that is not turf I think trying to overseed will be a waste of good seed. It will not do much on that much untilled surface area. See what happens with the weed-n-feed application but I think starting over is probably in your future.

Invest in one of those handheld whirlybird spreaders and apply according to directions or at the rate of 1 pound of nitrogen (first number of the formula on the sack tells you how much nitrogen is in the sack) per 1,000sf. If not sure, the recommendation to apply half now and half in two weeks not bad advice at all. I would wear a dusk mask, especially spreading herbicides.

A post-emergent broadleaf weed killer should not have the effect on grass seed that something like a pre-emergent herbicide like for crabgrass would but it is still not a good idea to apply any weed killer around the time you are hoping for seed to germinate.

Now is the time to think about planting a new lawn if you can wrap your head around the idea. I think, in the long run, you will be much happier starting over. If you decide to go forward with a new lawn, think about whether you really want that much turf?

Last edited by user1007; 04-13-2013 at 04:39 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the response... I have decided "to hell with it."

If I want to look at nice grass I'll just look past my yard to the golf course. With a large dog who spends time in the yard, think a new lawn and/or chemicals is a bad idea.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

So scale out the yard and commit it on paper and spend time planning what to do. Scrounge some nice groundcover cuttings. Establish some small shrubs and trees. See if you can establish a dog run so the savage beast does not tear everything up.

I am all for minimizing the use of lawn chemicals especially around children and pets. Beyond the chemicals, companies can put absolutely anything they want in the sack under the inert ingredients category. All that said, sometimes pesiticided and herbicides are the only way to control things and if applied properly and according to directions should not pose great harm.

People get carried away though and if the instructions say one cup per gallon they use four. The result is the products have to be pulled off the market for everybody. Or we have to pay someone with a license to use them.

By the way, I cannot see your weeds up close but they look like plants that will grow burrs? Isn't this going to be a problem with Fido Castro?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #8

spread some top soil as you do with seed and fert. first good rain and let that work down into the roots then seed it and do not bag it.. mulch it back into the root system ...waiting on mine after Hurricane Sandy this was last mulch cut back in 2012 25 years in the house never bagged the clippings limed up yearly no fert. if I did fert.hand throw Virgo seems not to burn it like when I would spread roll it especially when making turns...

Last edited by biggles; 04-14-2013 at 05:10 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote