My First Successful Propagation Attempt, How Do I Proceed? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

My first successful propagation attempt, how do I proceed?

I'm pretty sure I did it finally!

I've tried numerous propagation attempts and all have died. I've read a good amount about it but still just don't seem to get anything to stay alive.

Anyways, about 1.5 months ago, I had to cut down a large part of a palm species to make way for a storm shutter/storm awning - see picture for where I made the cut.

Now, I figured this would never be able to be propagated that way, but figured I'd give it a shot anyways. I took a clean plastic bottle, filled it with rooting solution (just a liquid, 2-5-2 solution, no rooting hormones), removed the bottom 2/3 of the foliage on the piece, used an axe to chop the bottom to a spike (figuring it'd help water get in... lol), and tied it to my chainlink fence with some string, and left my 'hydroponic propagation' attempt to do its thing.

I'd hit it with a misting of liquid fertilizer if I happened to be doing other plants. When watering the lawn, I'd get the leaves wet, and sometimes just flood the plastic bottle (it'd always be green ). I'd check it constantly, looking for little, thin roots starting to come out, but nothing. Over time the attention paid to this plant lessened.

So, tomorrow's trash day, and I untied it with the intent of chopping it up. I pulled it out of the green liquid it was sitting in, only to find hyyuuuge fat roots!!!!

Now I have, what I think anyways, is my first successful propagation!!

But I have some problems, as I don't have a clue what to do next here!

In the photos you can see the 'spike' that I cut the trunk into is completely covered in mold/fungus/algae, and that the roots are coming out from the bark right above the 'spike'.

I cleaned its plastic bottle and gave it another filling of 2-5-2 liquid fertilizer (slightly watered down, maybe at 80% strength), and put it back against the fence.

What do I do now? Keep it in the hydroponic setup? How often do I change its liquids? Should I use a different n-p-k ratio? Mist 1X/week with liquid fertilizer (10-10-10)? Soil? Use an anti-fungicide or something?

I think this plant is gonna make it, my (of many) successful attempts at this, but I have no idea what to do next! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Pic#1 is the original specimen, I drew an arrow to the top of that particular branch, and another point at the base where I had cut it (I actually cut a little lower than that I believe)

Pic#2 is that plant right now

Pic#3 is a closeup of its roots

Pic#4 is a closeup of the algae/fungus/whatever that is!!
Attached Thumbnails
My first successful propagation attempt, how do I proceed?-palm-before-chopping.jpg   My first successful propagation attempt, how do I proceed?-plant-current-condition.jpg   My first successful propagation attempt, how do I proceed?-plants-roots.jpg   My first successful propagation attempt, how do I proceed?-plants-fungus-algae.jpg  

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Landscape contractor

Rewards Points: 75

are you tellin me that is the section of palm you cut off form the parent plant from the first photo? Looks great to me. I'm not a tropical guru but it looks to me like it could handle a real light - weight media. Any tropical people concur? Nice job man! By the way, that alges probably feeding it!

Advertisement

timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Eibwen

Schweet!

Keep doing what you are doing for the time being with the same solution.

Check with a couple of local garden shops or the state agriculturural office for how to proceed.

You can make a FORTUNE growing those things!

I need some around my pool and they cost a bunch!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #4

So this is the real deal, my thumb's getting a bit green now!!!! After posting that, I started to wonder if that was perhaps some funky strand algae or whatnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
are you tellin me that is the section of palm you cut off form the parent plant from the first photo? Looks great to me. I'm not a tropical guru but it looks to me like it could handle a real light - weight media. Any tropical people concur? Nice job man! By the way, that alges probably feeding it!
Yeah that's the whole piece I took off the parent plant. The parent plant had maybe 5 or 6 main branches, all split at the base of the plant. I took one or two off and just discarded (well, let's keep it honest - I made spears out of them but they were too flimsy and, despite living <5min from the ocean, I've yet to have a chance to play with anything like that >).

That one needed to come off to accomodate a storm shutter (yeah the pic of the parent plant looks like crap, that was quite the 'mid-renovation' shot lol!), and I figured I'd give it a shot despite knowing you usually can't just grab such a large section like that. I also didn't know what to do and figured hydroponic would at least let me see what was happening!

By a real light weight media, what exactly does that mean? A potting mix, or a potting mix + extra perlite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Schweet!

Keep doing what you are doing for the time being with the same solution.

Check with a couple of local garden shops or the state agriculturural office for how to proceed.

You can make a FORTUNE growing those things!

I need some around my pool and they cost a bunch!
I'll do that, probably have to contact the agricultural office (which I've meant to do on a million other occasions, something about state offices that makes me shudder and presume before calling it'll just be a waste of time haha!).

I'm not too sure you could make that much, I mean you'd have to wait sooooooo long to grow them wouldn't ya?

If this one does survive and start producing new leaves, I'm totally going to rip the other 2 or 3 off the parent plant and leave only a single one there, and move the rest to other landscape beds!!

BTW - should I leave those dead leaves on it or take them off?
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Eibwen

You should be o.k. pulling off the dead leaves if they pull easily.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote