Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

My first sodding job, a few questions I have...

Tomorrow is I plan to lay sod for the first time. I just moved our shed back about 25 ft and plan to sod the area where the shed was and the area that was in back of the shed. (now in the front of the shed). The area is about 400 sq ft...
The area under the shed was a sand\clay mixture and the other areas were tilled and seeded last year. I have since dumped about 2 cubic yards of new topsoil and graded the area to the best of my ability. I want make sure that the area is compact as possible. I assume the only way to do this is by rolling the area. Can you rent a roller from HD? Has anyone ever done this...

Next question is in relation to sod types... I live in Central NJ, and one of the reason I am sodding is due to how late in the season I am, seeding could be questionable at this point. I think I have enough time for sod to take, is that correct? Suppose to be mid seventies tomorrow.
I had redone the whole front lawn last year, tilled the whole lawn and dropped about 12 cubic yards of topsoil. I then seeded and it came it great this year. The area I am doing tomorrow and the existing lawn will "butt" up...

What kind of sod, I used johnthan green sun shade for the front and would like a sod that will blend in well with that... Any ideas?

Also, I guess before I lay down the sod, I will roll out the new topsoil, should I add lyme and starter fertilizer?

Next where I plan to butt up the new with the old, should I just use a straight shovel and create a 1/2" starting line? how do people in the business handle this?

BTW: what should I expect to pay for 500 sq ft of sod?

Thanks -- WorkOnIt...

I will post pics when I am completed

WorkOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
one of the reason I am sodding is due to how late in the season I am, seeding could be questionable at this point
Nah! Perfect weather for reseeding. Shouldn't be any trouble keeping this small area watered for 2 weeks.
Don't know about lime in your area. Light amount of high P fertilizer (the middle number). 18-24-12 would work, as would 0-15-0. Not familiar with this variety of grass, is it fescue, bluegrass, etc? If it's a cool weather grass, I would put a little N in there.
Roots continue to grow until SOIL temp reaches about 50* F. You have plenty of time now for the seed to germinate, get a good root system established without the stress of the heat of summer.
I put out some rye a couple of weeks ago and it was up in five days.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

So, how did this turn out? Hopefully you've been watering! We were going to reseed and have now run out of time. Oh, well!
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote