Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 242
Share |
Default

Mushroom ID


Hi!

I've had a LOT of these mushrooms popping up all over my back lawn. They have a really large head, really long, and are pretty meaty.

I'm just wondering what they are and to be sure they are not poisonous to our dogs.

Thanks!



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 242
Default

Mushroom ID


Hi! Just responding to my original post. I want to add that I live around Chicago. I did some more research, and *think* it might be this.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinus_comatus.html

Nonetheless, it would be good to just verify to make sure I'm correct.

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 33
Default

Mushroom ID


disclaimer: i'm not a mycologist.

for people who do mushroom Identification, a picture of the gills, the underside of the mushroom cap will help in identification.


You might be correct about the id, Im just adding my 2 cents.

Last edited by bokeh; 10-15-2011 at 05:16 AM.
bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 242
Default

Mushroom ID


Thanks for the info. Mushrooms are so confusing because there's SO many of them, and edible ones may be growing right next to deadly ones!!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 12
Default

Mushroom ID


Shaggy mane has some psychadelic chemicals in them (if that's what this is). You can always error on the side of caution and just get rid of them. A lot of kids think that mushrooms that bruise/bleed blue are psychadelic (even though there are some mushrooms with red caps that bleed blue and are dangerous). Of course you'll find through simple online research that judging a mushroom by its bruising color will more often than not lead you to the wrong conclusion (a reason to judge on the side of caution). Then again, a pro might consider this concept foolish.
rkanemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: se
Posts: 1,294
Default

Mushroom ID


Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Thanks for the info. Mushrooms are so confusing because there's SO many of them, and edible ones may be growing right next to deadly ones!!
right. dont gamble with this. even experts have lost.(read my signature below- applied well here....LOL)

__________________
Alexander Pope: [a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing]
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow in attic through mushroom vents,leaking into great room ceiling thom risley Roofing/Siding 17 02-03-2014 03:47 PM
Mushroom mushroom go away Lee2314 Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 09-04-2011 12:44 PM
ridge vent vs. mushroom vent paulskec Roofing/Siding 6 06-10-2011 08:00 PM
tiny mushroom on my grass stupidgirl Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 09-09-2010 06:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.