Mulching Blades On A Low End Mower - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Mulching blades on a low end mower

I have a pretty low-end mower and would like to increase its efficiency if possible. It has a fixed deck (ugh) with a side discharge. If I closed off the discharge and installed a decent mulching blade would it be worth the investment and effort or would I be better served investing in a more robust mower?

Advertisement

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
homeowner learning quick

Rewards Points: 75

I am by no means an expert at this topic but I did just go through A LOT of research on mowers as I just bought my first one. From what I understand from discussions with the reps at my local Honda/Toro mower dealer -- the key to mulching is not cutting to much off the top of the grass (not real close to the ground) and not mulching when the grass is wet. To long of a mulch cut will end up "Clogging" /kill the live grass and wet grass that is mulched will clump and cause the same problem.

The fixed deck on your current mower may become an issue if you try to mulch and the grass is too long.

Again I am by no means an expert and just regurgitating what my local dealer told me. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

BTW if you do opt for a new mower you can pick up a Toro mulching mower that was just rated 3rd in Consumer reports for $500 and they are currently throwing in 5 years worth of blade sharpening/replacement (5x$20 certificates to use at the dealer). From what I gather a new mulching blade for the toro is $20 so basically you get 5 new mulching blades with the purchase.

Of course that being said I just picked up the Honda HRX but that was due to the insane inlcines I have on my property

Advertisement

whataboutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

Every mulching mower I have purchased seems to have a hemispherical shaped deck which helps redirect the clippings back through the blade to be recut so I don't think a mulching blade on a flat deck mower would be as effecient. On the upside, you can get a basic mulching push mower for under $200 if that's all you are looking for in a new mower.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote