Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Share |

Mulching around Trees

Planning on mulching around all of my trees for a few reasons (looks, ease of maintenance, etc.)

From what i've seen/read, avoid mulching up to the trunk, to leave a few inches off of it, and avoid making "Mulch Volcanoes" which are ugly anyway.

A friend who does landscaping advised to edge out a circle around the tree where I want to lay the mulch, to create some distinction between the mulch bed and the grass.

I'm thinking that may get tricky around the trees as they are fairly big, so i'd assume i would hit some roots and not be able to dig an even depth edge all the way around.

Figured i'd post here to see what approach some of you guys/gals have taken to mulching around trees. Thoughts?

chenzarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Mulching around Trees

In my opinion, you are absolutly on track!

Do not pile the mulch on the trunk. Just leave finger room, you can't see it from more than a few feet away but it will keep the trunk dry and prevent disease and possible insect damage. Think of keeping wet socks on for a long time and getting trenchfoot. EEEWWWHH!

Personally, I almost always cut an edge around the mulched area. As a matter of fact, I keep a three inch trenching shovel on my truck for that purpose only. I do use it once in a while for digging around irrigation heads but it's on the truck for edging beds. I understand what you are saying about roots. Yes, sometimes that is a problem. Just do the best you can and here and there you may not be able to keep the mulch as deep as the rest of the way around. Doing this makes a big difference in keeping a nice, clean edge between the mulch and surrounding turf, adjacent sidewalks, etc. I just think it looks professional and I take the extra few minutes to do it. I also tuck and roll the pinestraw at the edges (if you use straw instead of bark) but then I'm picky about what my work looks like.