Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mulch - natural or colored?

Which is best to use the natural or the colored mulch? Does the colored one cause any environmental issues?

Girly_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

try sniffin a cedar bag at the home centers way to go last for months

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #3

The dyed mulches are generally made of waste lumber products (pallets and such). I've heard that it is possible that pressure-treated lumber gets mixed in occasionally. I'd be surprised if there was anything really nasty in it, though I could be wrong. The dye is to just even out the vagaries of the chip color. Some folks say that the dye itself is bad, but again I don't know. I've seen it used by landscapers for malls and such, doesn't seem to worry anyone or kill the plants that they are installing.

Having said that, I don't use the red stuff at home as it just looks unnatural and tacky. You want something that gives a nice backdrop to your plantings without being obnoxious. I just took 3 yards of hemlock mulch ($120 delivered) for some new beds around my front yard, it is reddish yet it looks natural. Chipped cedar has a great smell to it too. Even pine bark has a nice smell to it. It is a bit more expensive, but it looks good so I pay for it.

Even just chipping up prunings and downed branches can make a nice mulch. It isn't terribly uniform in color, but it doesn't really matter if you have some nice plantings over it. A few months in the weather and it tends to silver and even out anyway.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #4

i bought some red cedar mulch with preen enhancer this spring. it did keep the weeds down throughout the summer and is still holding color even after all the rain we have had this year. i am kinda curious
as to what it will look like next spring after the snow sits on it all winter.
rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colored mulch, coloured mulch, natural mulch