Mulch Or Burn ? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,696

mulch or burn ?

as you know, i have some leaves in my yard, but there isn't a ton of them.
i am not raking. i am either going to mulch em down. or bag them with the mower and burn them.

basically= idk if mulching the leaves is a bad thing for my lawn ?
i can't post a pic = i'm on a backup computer.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

mulch or burn ?

Mulch them in. I generally just pick up hard sticks and such and just run the mower over the leaves until they are shredded. Just make sure that you don't have piles of leaf matter smothering the grass.

If your lawn needs lime (determined by a soil test), throw the lime OVER the mulched leaves. Good way to get organics and other nutrients into the soil.

Advertisement

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,170

mulch or burn ?

I have been mulching our leaves for at least 10 years or now, and, in my opinion, it is the only way to go; less effort, less handling, less time, and no adverse effects to the lawn. We have a lot of leaves, so I set the mower deck high a week or so ago, and have spent maybe 10 or 15 minutes several evenings, just to catch the heavier areas. Now, with all but a few stragglers on the ground, I blew out the eaves troughs last night and this morning, have started blowing them out from under the bushes, etc., so this afternoon I will lower the deck, mow the lawn, and be done with them.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #4

mulch or burn ?

yeah, that is what i am thinking. mulch em up. after all, that is what soil is made of.

i have no ides what type of fertilizer/s my lawn may need. the lawn looks good enough, for now. but if i knew what to put on it, that will help it, i would do so. i am currently looking for a spreader on craigslist, but none in my area, yet. this isn't a priority.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

mulch or burn ?

Burning them certainly does nothing to help the environment and mulching them will add organic matter to your lawn. If they are riddled with leaf mold or any sort of fungus I could see bagging and burning them I guess.

If there were too many of them, I would recommend you bag them and compost them along with green matter added to the heap.

Depending on what type of leaves they are, they may skew your Ph a bit so a test kit is handy to have to see what you might need to add to tweak that. It eventually returns it but decomposing organic matter does take nitrogen from the soil for the process so you might have to compensate for that come spring.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

mulch or burn ?

Late last fall I went with a school group on a field trip to an outdoor education centre. We were there to learn about marshes ,bogs and the creatures that reside in them. But to get to the wetlands we first had a hike through the woods. The instructor pointed out on the ground small pilings of leaves. He said if you gently took apart the piles you were sure to find little moundings of earth.

What was happening is the earthworms would come out of their holes and drag leaves back to their exit holes, where the leaves would be consumed. The mounds of earth were the worm casings ( deposits)

Since that education I have realized that shredding the leaves with the mower is the ideal for the lawn. Nature`s own fertilizer.

This past spring when the snow melted, upon close inspection, sure enough there were little mounds every where.

A good deal of the leaves actually get consumed and not just left to decompose on the top of the grass and soil. Worm droppings are fill of nutrients

Last edited by creeper; 10-27-2012 at 12:20 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
registered

Rewards Points: 524

mulch or burn ?

Just mulch don't let them get to high. Like every other day.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

mulch or burn ?

i mulched em up yesterday. one more time this year and it will be time to put away the mower.

Advertisement