Mowing High Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Mowing High question

So I finally had a pro come out to my house today. I have been fighting it since March. I dethatched, ovrseeded, fertilized, watered, everything. I can't get some spots to regrow at all. I had about 40% of just dirt in my yard (we moved here in October). It's about 90-95% filled in now, but some of it is then, I have crabgrass growing, but not too many other weeds. The pro did say one thing, I am cutting it too low. He had thought I just cut it when he said that, but really it's been a week already. He said the back is ok, height wise. My question is, what can I do? I am certain the mower is already on the highest setting.

Advertisement

Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

Mowing High question

My neighbor cuts his grass way too low, and he has crab grass problems too. The taller grass shades the dirt which helps it from drying out. And the shade deters the weed seeds from starting up. Its hard to believe that at it's highest setting, your mower is still that low. Maybe take another look. Or maybe somebody did something funny with how the blade was mounted, and the blade is too low. Or maybe the cheap plastic wheels were in rough shape and somebody decided to replace the wheels with another set that were smaller. In any event, one possibility would be to buy 4 new wheels of a bigger size.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Mowing High question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
My neighbor cuts his grass way too low, and he has crab grass problems too. The taller grass shades the dirt which helps it from drying out. And the shade deters the weed seeds from starting up. Its hard to believe that at it's highest setting, your mower is still that low. Maybe take another look. Or maybe somebody did something funny with how the blade was mounted, and the blade is too low. Or maybe the cheap plastic wheels were in rough shape and somebody decided to replace the wheels with another set that were smaller. In any event, one possibility would be to buy 4 new wheels of a bigger size.
The mower is brand new, but I did figure it out. It def was not at the lowest. I found the manual and straightened it out. Im so aggravated at myself now, because I probably could have avoided it.
Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote