Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Share |

Moving water away from existing patio

I recently moved into a home and have discovered that when it rains all of the run off from the pool deck ends up in one corner of the yard against the back of the house around the pool pump. This is also the location of the door to the screened in area surrounding the pool. It can get up to about a foot deep and this pooling of water may have caused the last pool motor to burn out (not sure as it died the day I moved in.)

The yard outside this area is higher than the doorway/pool pump area is higher by about two feet.

Is there a method, solution for building some sort of run-off trench or gutter that would take the water from this area to farther out in the yard? Regrading the yard does not seem like an option as the pool deck would still run down to this area and the screened area is anchored by concrete all the way around the pool so it is not an option to tear it all down and redo the pool deck/screening as well.

Thanks.

-D

dorvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #2

If regrading the area is impossible, then your best bet may be a surface drain. They are available in small basins at 12" or 18" with a grate on top. You could also install a trench drain, with interconnected rectangular boxes with grates on top collecting the surface water, and piped out to daylight. I have used trench drains by Aco Drain, and can tell you they work great. http://www.acousa.com/drain/index.htm

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #3

Any combination of surface grading, surface channels, trenches, underground pipes, etc. will work with just two rules,
1. Water flows downhill.
2. (regarding underground pipes less than about 3 feet deep) Water freezes.

You could allow/designate there to be a low point where water will accumulate, dig a pit (perhaps the size of an oil drum, 55 gallons), and pump it out with a hose over a walkway over to a lower area during times when the porous sides of the pit can't absorb the water as fast as the water accumulates (the role of the pit changes by itself from dry well to sump).

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-28-2011 at 07:52 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

I have a similar problem. I have a concrete patio up against the house. It has a good working drain, but the slab wasn't sloped properly. I know that putting in a trench drain is an option, but is there any easy/cheap/convenient way I could just carve a "V" shaped grove in the concrete? It would only need to be about 1/2 an inch deep and 1/2 an inch wide to work.
frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5

They make concrete slit cutters with a circular blade resembling a circular saw blade. YOu set the depth and, by selecting the appropriate blade or making multiple runs, get a slit of the desired width.

Tags
pool deck, pooling water, water run-off