Moving Border Fence - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Moving border fence

I just finished painting my MILs 30 year old stockade fence and find it really needs to be replaced due to several trees planted in neighbor's yard that have distroyed the otherwise fine fence. Those trees have over taken and distroyed it along with sending roots into her yard that have worked their way under her paved driveway. Maybe even into the foundation of her house. It seems it would be an impossible task replacing that fence with that root system in place. Not to mention the leaf dropage into her once pristene garden. Is there anyone that can give any suggestions to this situation or is a matter of nothing can be done.

Thanks to everyone that reads this post and can offer some help.

Al

Advertisement

Al Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,044

Moving border fence

I would cut the roots visible on the surface where they are about to go under the driveway. Make one vertical cut all the way through. That will stop their swelling and stop further distortion of the driveway surface.

If you wish to you could cut the roots back at the boundary line where they go undert he fence.

If you don't dig out the root section on your side immediately, you could just notch out a one half inch gap in the entire root cross section where you made the cut, so the cut section can't quickly re-merge back together.

Also, the tree depletes the moisture in the soil necessitating more frequent watering of lawns and gardens where the roots pass. If the roots are cut then less moisture is sucked from the nearby soil.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-10-2012 at 03:13 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

Angry

Moving border fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I would cut the roots visible on the surface where they are about to go under the driveway. Make one vertical cut all the way through. That will stop their swelling and stop further distortion of the driveway surface.
The problem is the roots are not visable anywhere on the surface.

[/quote]If you wish to you could cut the roots back at the boundary line where they go undert he fence.[/quote]

I guess it means removing the fence and attacking the root system in order to replace the fence. This seems like a major operation. I almost want to think it is the responsibility of the owner of the trees to repair the damage as the trees are aggressively destroying propriety

[/quote]If you don't dig out the root section on your side immediately, you could just notch out a one half inch gap in the entire root cross section where you made the cut, so the cut section can't quickly re-merge back together.

Also, the tree depletes the moisture in the soil necessitating more frequent watering of lawns and gardens where the roots pass. If the roots are cut then less moisture is sucked from the nearby soil.[/quote]

So you think that this is work that all has to be done and the neighbor would slide even though these trees are his. It just doesn't seem right.

If I planted trees that suddenly broke through his pool he would have to pick up all the cost?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

Moving border fence

How are the roots destroying the fence if they are not protruding above the surface?

A tree's growth is an "act of God" and the neighbor is not responsible to you. It is up to you to identify where damage might occur on your property and to optionally take action on your own. I forgot to mention that you may not do something so drastic that you kill the tree, and you may not do things on your neighbor's property. An exception might be made for a tree that is growing so large that it is infringing on significant infrastructure such as a pool, but the (pool owner) may have to cover the entire cost of removal of the tree and reasonably restoring the land where the tree used to be.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Moving border fence

Quote:
How are the roots destroying the fence if they are not protruding above the surface?

A tree's growth is an "act of God" and the neighbor is not responsible to you. It is up to you to identify where damage might occur on your property and to optionally take action on your own. I forgot to mention that you may not do something so drastic that you kill the tree, and you may not do things on your neighbor's property. An exception might be made for a tree that is growing so large that it is infringing on significant infrastructure such as a pool, but the (pool owner) may have to cover the entire cost of removal of the tree and reasonably restoring the land where the tree used to be.
The trees have gotten so large they are displacing the fence moving it as they grow. The roots are owning the land beneith well into the yard, like I said, under the driveway and maybe into the stone foundation.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

Moving border fence

Dig a trench a little over 12 inches deep al along and almost next to but not undermining the drivewaly. Slice the entirety of, and notch out a one inch gap in, any large roots you see.

You can defer dealing with the roots in the space between the driveway and the property line for a later date.

How far is the driveway from the property line?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Moving border fence

Quote:
Dig a trench a little over 12 inches deep al along and almost next to but not undermining the drivewaly. Slice the entirety of, and notch out a one inch gap in, any large roots you see.

You can defer dealing with the roots in the space between the driveway and the property line for a later date.

How far is the driveway from the property line?
Without measuring I would say the end of the hot top is about 12 ft. away. The foundation is closer. Maybe about 8 ft. Maybe I need to dig along much of the line if I want to kill all the roots. I would like to think it wouldn't be hard when I ready to replace the fence. Maybe a tractor with a shovel attached.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

Moving border fence

If the hot top is showing any signs of undulating or buckling, I would say dig portions of the trench at the driveway and cut any large roots going under now.

Trees that straddle the boundary line are jointly owned by both property owners and both need to agree before the tree can be taken down. However either one can appeal to a court for an order to be able to take the tree down. Whether the order is granted depends on the circumstances (actual or potential damage, etc.).

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-13-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #9

Moving border fence

Quote:
If the hot top is showing any signs of undulating or buckling, I would say dig portions of the trench at the driveway and cut any large roots going under now.

Trees that straddle the boundary line are jointly owned by both property owners and both need to agree before the tree can be taken down. However either one can appeal to a court for an order to be able to take the tree down. Whether the order is granted depends on the circumstances (actual or potential damage, etc.).
Thanks. You have offered me excellent advice.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,680

Moving border fence

if it were me. i would have a company use a trencher and dig about 4' down. as close to the property line as possible. if the tree dies, so what. if you don't do this, you may have to replace the foundation of the house, among other things.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #11

Moving border fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
if it were me. i would have a company use a trencher and dig about 4' down. as close to the property line as possible. if the tree dies, so what. if you don't do this, you may have to replace the foundation of the house, among other things.
That is sort of what I was thinking. Bring in the heavy equipment.

Thanks again for a great thread.

Regards.
Al.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #12

Moving border fence

I want to build a wooden fence around my flower garden, It is very beauteful.

Advertisement

lasvegas0001 is offline   Reply With Quote