Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

moss choking grass

Each year, it seems that our lush green lawn is being choked out by moss. Actually, the lawn is spotty moss and mostly just dirt - clay soil in our area. The lawn originally went in by hydroseed method, if that makes any difference. Yes, there are trees and it is on the north side of the house, but we have other areas that have high shade and do not have this situation. Drainage is good. After being here for ten years, the problem has become worse in the past three years. Please help. The yard is becoming just dirt now. Very unattractive. Thank you so much

jfava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

moss choking grass

I've been a professional landscaper for 11 years. I primarily deal with property design but I do have a vast knowledge of turf. First and most importantly. Have you had a soil test performed? And not a home kit. An actual soil test that you send to a lab and get your results back. My first instinct for moss is poor drainage and shade. That's always the top culprits. But you say it's not and issue. It's sounds like your soil is lacking some key nutrients. Search soil testing online to find a legit soil lab and have a test done. From there you will know exactly what fertilizers need to be applied. Always aerate the turf at least once a year. Twice is better. Once in the spring and once in the fall. And prune any trees above turf to allow at least some sun light through.

Landpro is offline   Reply With Quote